Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed neuspeed sofsports and Bilstein sport shocks about two weeks ago. (Thanks S_Klass) Should I have my car aligned to 1BE specs? Is an alignment on my 2000 B5 (1.8 w/ Tip) something I should go to the dealer for, or would a good Indy shop be ok? I hear that these cars are difficult to align and it may be best to go to a dealer. Thanks

·
Registered
10,540 Posts
hitsolid said:
I installed neuspeed sofsports and Bilstein sport shocks about two weeks ago. (Thanks S_Klass) Should I have my car aligned to 1BE specs? Is an alignment on my 2000 B5 (1.8 w/ Tip) something I should go to the dealer for, or would a good Indy shop be ok? I hear that these cars are difficult to align and it may be best to go to a dealer. Thanks
Riding on H&R springs with OE shocks/struts my 2000 variant has NEVER been aligned. We have tried 4 time sin the last year. We have asked VW to do it. We have asked them to align it to 1BE and still no dice. We have gone to alignment 'experts' and still no... I believe that we have an issue with passenger side front being ever slightly toe in. If the new shocks/struts don't resolve it I'm buying a camber kit.

·
Registered
29,166 Posts
There is nothing the set besides the toe-in. Set it to .20 degrees in and it will be the best you can get without
a camber kit or a subframe adjustment. With a 1.2"-1.5" drop,my camber is near the limit,(-1.1degree) but there is no wear.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Recently I have fixed my alignment/tire wear nightmare.

About a year ago I dropped my car, H/R Sport, Koni Sport. 2 months after that I got new tires. Well I just put on another set of tires with only about a year of use. The problem with my tire were was not camber related like originally thought. The problem was the tie rod ends. They were wore out and needed to be replaced. Well I got them replaced and with the new tires. Alignement is great and the tires are wearing perfectly.

If you have alignment problems the only things you can do is adjust the Toe and shift the camber from wheel to wheel by shifting the sub frame. Nothing is adjustable for the caster.

CPP makes adjustable upper links that will allow you to adjust every alignment aspect. Caster and Camber are adjustable with the CPP units and toe is already adjustable.

If you have a moderate drop, not laying frame, CPP links shouldn't be needed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.