Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of moving to Albuquerque next fall(from Boston MA. area) and was wondering what it's like. Out here I have no problem going to autocrosses or finding people to help me out when I get in over my head on my VW projects. What's it like out there?

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
FWIW, I have a coworker who lived out there for 10 years. From what he tells me he loved every minute of it. When he gets in I will give him his email address and you two can talk.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts

·
PassatWorld Staff
12,264 Posts
Here I yam! :)

One '78 and one '79:

http://www.clubb5.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=67617
http://www.clubb5.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=85674

I love Albuquerque. Grew up in Tennessee and lived for 5 years in Los Angeles, but the very first time I met the high desert here I fell in love with it and have been in New Mexico for 18 years now - 2 years Santa Fe, 2 years Los Alamos, 14 Albuquerque.

As far as the car scene, I'm still getting to know it. There's a bunch of Vortexers here with MkIII's and Mk IV's. Not much of a Passat scene - it's all in Denver (go Outlaws!). The Rio Grande chapter of the SCCA is very active here and they hold autocrosses quite frequently. There's a great little NHRA dragstip here, and there's a roadracing track - www.sandiamotorsports.com - with a roadracing car club www.swms.org .

I am involved with a group of guys who do "open track days" at the roadracing course. $70 and a helmet gets you lots of track time, no competitive passing or agressive driving allowed. We have a lot of fun. Come on out and represent VW!

There's more activity, but that's all I can think of at the moment. I can also point you to a couple of good indie VW parts/service places.

If you want more info, email or PM me. I might be in the Boston area around August 27-29th - that's where my stepson lives and he is receiving the '78 'rocco (yes we're driving it out there!). Planning to GTG with fellow CB5ers, so you should join us (if I make it). If you get a chance to come out here for a visit, let me know and I'll show you around.

The only thing negative I'd say about ABQ is the housing price / income ratio. If you have a really good, stable job, you're OK, but if you're a worker bee it will be difficult to find an affordable house close to town, and you might have to (or want to) live in an outlying area like Rio Rancho or Los Lunas.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all of the responses! My girlfriends family has been in Los Crusces for about ten years and she wants to move close but not TO close to her family. I said it would be fine as long I can find work and continue racing. I just sold my 78 Scirocco (2.0 16v conversion done by yours truly) a few months ago. Now I need to figure out what to do with 2 door jetta(another 2.0 16v conversion done by yours truly) because the Passat IS going to make the journey! I now know what all those control arms are for after autocrossing it!

Thanks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.