Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody know how I would go about checking the door and trunk microswitches without going to the dealer or having a VAGCOM

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
I don't know how to test them, but if you describe the symptoms that make you think they are bad someone might be able to chime in.

I had the microswitch go in my rear passenger-side door and it would no longer activate the lights when the door was open, and the car would arm the alarm system even when the door was open. That was fixed under used-car warranty by replacing the regulator in my case.

Oddly enough, the next day my driver door microswitch failed. Don't know if they tinkered with it or if it was a coincidence.

My trunk light works when it feels like it. I need to buy the $11 part for the trunk and fix it myself. There are lots of people who have experienced this if you search around for it.

Sorry I can't help more on actual testing methods...

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When i arm the alarm the lights flash but it doesnt make the beeping noise. If i open the door when the alarm is armed or press the panic butoon it sounds the little buzzer in the trunk like normal. Just not when I hit the arm button.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
When i arm the alarm the lights flash but it doesnt make the beeping noise. If i open the door when the alarm is armed or press the panic butoon it sounds the little buzzer in the trunk like normal. Just not when I hit the arm button.
This is because the Alarm thinks that one of your doors is still open, or the hood or trunk for that matter. The easiest way I found to test this w/o a Vag-Com unlock the all the doors put the key in the ignition and turn it to on, but don't actually start the car, take the key out shut the door and let the lights dim...you do the whole key thing to keep the alarm from re-arming it self.

Once the lights are out, open each door individually, the faulty door when opened, wont turn the interior lights on. More than likely it's the micro switch in the lock mechanism, also you might notice that sometimes the faulty door wont respond to pressing the lock button on the remote.

Thats what happens in my car...stupid rear driver door has a faulty switch and it's very annoying.

·
Registered
3,813 Posts
I had a similar issue a few years back. I replaced the trunks microswitch. Let me see if I can find the thread......Sorry, it was more then a year ago. The farthest back I can search is 1 year :(

Maybe this will help

http://www.passatworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=226562&highlight=micro+switch

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
The replacement part for my back door microswitch was pretty inexpensive as far as electronic components for this car run... I believe it was $90 - the expensive part was labor, but I don't think they knew what they were doing and they took forever (luckily, under warranty).

If you have a Bentley manual and some patience you might see if it is something you can tackle...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts