Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just figuring out how to remove the airbag from my regular old non multifunction 4 spoke steering wheel. I already released the airbag from the clips. Question is, how do I remove the wiring harness so I can free up the airbag? Do I take the wiring off the back of the airbag itself? If so how do I do that? I don't want to break it.

·
Registered
5,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks man, helped me understand it more. The part I'm confused about is how to get that yellow plug off the back of airbag itself. I don't know if i just pull it straight out, slide it, smack it up, flip it, rub it down? oh nooo.

·
Registered
5,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
okay here it is.

I can probably just take out the wires going to the ground point and the horn, but please just humor me on taking it off the airbag :lol:

·
Registered
152 Posts
Looks very similar to the one on my Volvo...which simply pulls straight out. It's a snug plug.

Just curious...did you have to secure the airbag contact reel on the steering wheel hub with a screw (provided on a little tether) before pulling the wheel? If you don't on the Volvo, you are screwed...it unwinds when you pull the wheel. :shock:

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
I did that!
I even have my old wiring harness in front of me to help answer your question (the VW stealer I got the airbag from recommended I replace the harness that was on my used 3-spoke wheel w/a new one to avoid any possible resistance issues -- about $30 for that wire thingie! :shock: :crazy: )

The yellow block that is attached to the airbag just pries/pops out (with a thin bladed screwdiver), the part that goes into the airbag has two female contacts in the plastic 'prong'.

It looks like you already unplugged the larger yellow block from the steering wheel.

That should be all you need to do to remove the steering wheel!

The 4-spoke wiring harness is NOT the same as the three spoke version.
The only difference that I can see between them is the 2nd black wire that connects to the lower blade contact of the 4-spoke wheel is different in the 3-spoke wheel: in the 3-spoke wheel this '2nd' black wire does not have a 'blade' type of prong, the brass connector on the black wire is 'U' shaped and iirc it clips into a slot of some type (the 'U' is approx 1/8" from side to side)

If you got a 3-spoke steering wheel that doesn't have that wiring harness, the part number of the one I used is: 1J0 971 584 H

hth
Good luck with it.

Oh, and I swapped my steering wheel without disconnecting the battery - just don't turn the key in the ignition with the airbag disconnected or you will get an error code or check-airbag-light that will not be a good thing!

·
Registered
5,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
:bow: Thank you very much for the info everyone. I haven't actually taken the wheel off yet. I'm getting the 3 spoke airbag from Leloz at the end of the week so I was just looking at what kind of job it was to take it out.

Steering wheel is only connected by that big screw in the middle. Anybody know what exact size of bit to use for that center screw? I read it was T-55 torx or some 12 point something or another?

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
I have swapped my steering wheel before, but it was with another 4 spoke... so I did not have any harness issues.

I made sure my wheels were straight and that the steering wheel was centered, then disconnected the battery and waited for 15 minutes so there would be no residual power to the airbag.

And yes, you will need a Torx T55 and it has to be torqued to 37 ft/lbs.

This is helpful:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=764870

Take care,
Lelo

Let me know when you get the airbag :thumbup:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts