Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
I know if it were me in your situation, I would rather start with the igniter located under the center console rather than messing with the seat airbags, especially since it refers to both sides of the vehicle. I had to disconnect and reconnect the igniter connection found in the console in my Passat to cure an airbag light shortly after purchasing it. The problem has never returned.

·
Registered
4,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I know if it were me in your situation, I would rather start with the igniter located under the center console rather than messing with the seat airbags, especially since it refers to both sides of the vehicle. I had to disconnect and reconnect the igniter connection found in the console in my Passat to cure an airbag light shortly after purchasing it. The problem has never returned.

This was one of the very first suggestions in a previous post about a year earlier regarding the same problem.
I even swapped mine out for another one. Same exact problem.

What's really weird, and I completely forgot all about this, until just now. All of the airbag circuit connections has a purple and yellow wire with a rather small yellow plastic connector end.
There is one of these connectors laying loose in the ECU box. When I originally took the car apart in 2009 (major engine failure) and then let it sit for those number of years, I certainly don't ever remember that plug being there. I've crawled around under the dash trying to figure out where that connector goes to but no avail.
I can't imagine a connector like that would be left just to hang from the factory. But I sure can't find were it goes to. :unsure:

I'll see if I can get into that ECU box tomorrow and snap a picture. Maybe somebody can tell me that the thing-ummah-bob plugs into the thing-ummah-jig.

·
Registered
4,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
The airbag light is one of those things you should definitely pay attention to.
I do, I glare back it as it glares at me, EVERYDAY. Other than that, I just ignore it. :sleep:

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
This was one of the very first suggestions in a previous post about a year earlier regarding the same problem.
I even swapped mine out for another one. Same exact problem.

the thing-ummah-bob plugs into the thing-ummah-jig.
I would still start with checking the connection in the console. I hate messing with the seats and upholstery.

I am going to have to take a look at the wiring diagram to trace the airbag circuits. I don't recall ever seeing anything going to the ECU. Maybe you have a unicorn thing-ummah-bob.

·
Registered
4,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Didn't get a chance to get that picture yesterday. Will do it today.

·
Registered
4,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Still haven't got that picture of the wires in the ECU box. (n)

I did however manage to get the seat apart and the airbag wiring harness off the seat. What a pain in the ASS that is. I for the life of me can't understand how people actually like doing car interior work.
I've managed to get the airbag disconnected and have discovered that the blue and black wires in the 3 wire harness have continuity to each other. I'm going to asume that should not be the case, have to check the wiring diagram to be sure.

·
Administrator
23,309 Posts
Still haven't got that picture of the wires in the ECU box. (n)

I did however manage to get the seat apart and the airbag wiring harness off the seat. What a pain in the ASS that is. I for the life of me can't understand how people actually like doing car interior work.
I've managed to get the airbag disconnected and have discovered that the blue and black wires in the 3 wire harness have continuity to each other. I'm going to asume that should not be the case, have to check the wiring diagram to be sure.
If you do it a few times, it gets easier, lol.

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
I did however manage to get the seat apart and the airbag wiring harness off the seat. What a pain in the ASS that is.
At least you'll have practice for the other side, like VAGguy stated above.

In looking at Bentley, it is the air bag control module located in the center console area, not igniter as I stated before. The N199 and N200 are specific to the igniters in the seats.

There are two separate versions dependent upon the cluster lighting color, blue or green. The two wiring diagrams are 17/1 (blue cluster) and 22/1 (green cluster).

The green clustered cars share a common ground for the igniters in the lower A pillar while the blue clustered cars don't. When you refer to "blue and black" wires, are you referring to two separate wires?

·
Registered
4,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #32 (Edited)
At least you'll have practice for the other side, like VAGguy stated above.
Yes that is true. This unfortunately is something I really don't mind if I don't get good at it. I plan to get through this hiccup and be done.

In looking at Bentley, it is the air bag control module located in the center console area, not igniter as I stated before. The N199 and N200 are specific to the igniters in the seats.

There are two separate versions dependent upon the cluster lighting color, blue or green. The two wiring diagrams are 17/1 (blue cluster) and 22/1 (green cluster).

The green clustered cars share a common ground for the igniters in the lower A pillar while the blue clustered cars don't. When you refer to "blue and black" wires, are you referring to two separate wires?
As I've mentioned/admitted before, I'm not much into car electrical much less diagnosing. Over the weekend I had a family member give me a crash course on electrical schematics.
I now understand and have found all the components you have mentioned.

Question: Does somebody know what the voltage is supposed to be at N199 and N200?
I'm assuming 12 volts.

·
Registered
4,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Well that's interesting...
Checked voltage at the T4a (yellow connector) under the seat. Got between .5 and .6 volts on both leads.
So now, is this correct?

21 - 33 of 33 Posts