Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

Air-to-Water intercoolers (paging Macabre)

850 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Macabre 
#1 ·
how exactly do these work? are they any better than air-to-air?

i have seen a pic of one, and it looks like it takes up less space than the air to air, and could be less restrictive........

this would be for my Audi 90, not the passat......

in my audi, you cant fit anything in there!

any one have any good links, pics or info post it! thanks!

#2 ·
You have to have an additional radiator to cool the water. It doesn't need to be big, usually an oil cooler type rad will do it. You're also carrying a little more weight. Pros: fits anywhere, can add ice water for super-efficient cooling (drag racing only, obviously). Cons: slightly poorer cooling efficiency without ice, significantly greater installation complexity (IC core, water tank, water hoses, water pump), increased cost, reduced reliability.

For a street car, stick to a nicely sized air-to-air unit IMO. I've seen people running FMICs on B3 turbo swaps..

#3 ·
i cant seem to figure out where the hell to put the intercooler (air to air) on my B3......

i have that AUX radiator in front of the engine (id like to keep it) as well as the AC condenser il like having around......

thanks for the info

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.