Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all
Did a fuel filter change last weekend didn't prime fuel filter and car failing to fire up. Tried the turn key to position one repeatedly to activate the lift pump but still no joy , also tried to suck fuel on the return line using a pump which didn't appear to work . The vehicle is a b5.5 estate 1.9 tdi pd engine. Any thoughts methods on purging the system would be appreciated cheers in advance

·
in dire need of an organic chemistry lesson
2,407 Posts
Are you sure you installed the fuel filter correctly? It has a specific in and out shown with flash signs that needs to be connected to fuel lines. It is a possibilitity that you reversed in with out which blocks the fuel flow. I would say check that and make sure that is not the case.

·
Moderator/Administrator
23,739 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just an update for anyone with the same problem.
Basically due to not priming the fuel filter after a filter change car wouldn't start , remedied by filling fuel filter hooking car battery up to another battery so as not flatten my battery, then proceeded to crank mine to push fuel through ( don't crank continuously so as not to cook starter motor) also spray a sniff of easy start ( or lynx deodorant spray it's cheaper but does same job) into the air intake to encourage the engine to fire , eventually she should fire up.
Cheers for the replies .

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
A question for those of you with lots of underhood time:
Since our cars have a fuel return line, would it be effective to simply run the fuel pump for a minute or two? That could be accomplished by simply running a jumper wire from battery positive to the fuel pump fuse.

My 2005 A4 (B6) has a 1.8T engine, but interestingly no fuel return line...

·
Moderator/Administrator
23,739 Posts
A question for those of you with lots of underhood time:
Since our cars have a fuel return line, would it be effective to simply run the fuel pump for a minute or two? That could be accomplished by simply running a jumper wire from battery positive to the fuel pump fuse.

The diesel is different. You must prime/fill the filter.

Gas engines need no such thing. When you open the door or turn the key, the fuel pump primes the line with pressure. With the AMB 1.8T you have, the fuel pressure regulator is built into the fuel filter so the return line is coming off the back of the filter. The B5/B5.5 Passat 1.8T has the FPR on the fuel rail so the return line comes off there.

·
Registered
5,282 Posts

Your B6 has a return line, but it comes from the filter, where the pressure regulator is located - that's how my '05 B6 (3.0) is.

Personally I've never had any problem re-starting after opening the fuel system, whether changing fuel pumps, filter, or injectors. I can't say why, but they've always fired right up.

·
Moderator/Administrator
23,739 Posts
Same here, although it's all been gassers for me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts