Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, before anybody says anything, YES, I DID A SEARCH!!! I was thinking about putting the K&N 57i induction filter in my V6, BUT, after our serious flooding issues we had over New Year's, I'm worried about hydro-locking my engine. Will my engine be susceptible to getting water in the intake after I install this? Also, real quik, dumb q. What does COAM stand for?:confused:

TIA

·
Registered
51 Posts
Colorado Outlaw Airbox Mod -- some veteran members came up with the original idea, and many on this forum are running this mod on the stock airbox. works well, and even better with the k&n drop in. i don't know too much about the 57i, but i'm sure someone will help out. i'm pretty sure tho that you should be alright, as long as you stay out of lakes, big puddles and what not.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The 57i or the COAM fits in the airbox? And that's the problem, is we had enormous streams across the roads here, and I was driving my parents' Liberty at the time (clutch was out), and a couple of puddles, you had to go through kinda quick or risk getting stuck, and a few of them went over the ROOF of the Liberty :Yikes: ! Thanks for the input. Just a little more clarification, and I should be good.

·
Banned
742 Posts
Geeze over the roof? so your saying the liberty was a submerissable? Roof or hood? the COAM requires you to cut hole in the OEM airbox then from those holes running a tube or two to the front of the car bascially sucking more colder air into the air box giving you engine better perfromcence. what the hell is a 57i? Is that just a K&N drop in filter, if so its drops in the same place as your original filter

·
Registered
3,844 Posts
Since it's not a CAI, I really doubt the water's gonna go up that high in the engine bay. But I would use the money else where though................ unless you're going for the sound.

8,184 Posts
No water really can't the coam tubes are longer and lower to the airbox then the stock air pass. I would be more worried about water coming from the front grill them water going up a long hose to the airbox

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So, basically you all are saying just get a K&N drop-in, and two dryer ducts (or other similar materials), am I right? Better performance for my money?

8,184 Posts
raptor1056 said:
So, basically you all are saying just get a K&N drop-in, and two dryer ducts (or other similar materials), am I right? Better performance for my money?
Yup the audi guys say its better then the CAI from EVOMS........its two pool tubes.....30 mins of work.

·
Lock and Load
4,040 Posts
raptor1056 said:
what do you use the "two dryer ducts" for? Sorry for the stupid questions, because I plan to do the drop in K&N, but I thought drop in just but the air filter, nothing else? TIA

1 - 14 of 14 Posts