Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Man i spent almost 1 hour getting to the airbox and i stil cant put back the 2 clips. One of them is not atached to the box anymore. I have to take my car to the dealership now. Will my car thorw a CEL with the airbox lid not closed properly? 2 clips are not attached... :cry:

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
natskiboy said:
Man i spent almost 1 hour getting to the airbox and i stil cant put back the 2 clips. One of them is not atached to the box anymore. I have to take my car to the dealership now. Will my car thorw a CEL with the airbox lid not closed properly? 2 clips are not attached... :cry:
Probably no cel... you're just re-routing engine-bay air directly into the airbox. I just wouldn't drive right behind a gravel truck on the way to the shop. You may be pinching the air filter on one side, making it hard to close the clips. I'd give it one more try before taking it in.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Use something to offer leverage - a screw driver or other long stick-thing that won't break. Be patient, apply leverage with the screw driver while making sure that the top of the box is as far down as it'll go, and you should get those clips back on.

·
Registered
402 Posts
To put them back on, you can create a loop out of wire (even a hanger) and grab the clip to pull it on if you need to. Since one fell out tho, you may beed to remove the whole top of the box to get to it. Just start taking off clips and moving stuff out of the way. Go to HermanH's site he has a pretty good section in one of his write-ups on taking out the whole thing.

http://home.comcast.net/~hhong4/

·
Registered
310 Posts
Remove the heat shield first. Then lock the clips back in place and reinstall the heat shield using a stubby phillips screwdriver. I just installed a K&N filter on mine over the weekend and that's how I did it.

Alex

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
6 Participants
AlexNYC
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing