Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody know where the AC blend door is located and/or how to troubleshoot if it works correctly? Can it be repaired or replaced easily?

A couple of weeks ago I noticed I wasn't getting cold air from my AC. It was a little cool, but not at all cool enough for Arkansas heat.

I dropped the car off at my favorite indy this morning. He performed a leak test on the AC system and assures me the system holds freon and is working properly. What he did notice is that the when he turned the AC knob to 'cool', the air coming out the vents was partially cool; when he turned the knob to the mid-point between cool and heat, the air coming out the vents was extremely hot.

After some research, he came to the conclusion that a 'pneumatic or electric door' in the air duct was only partially opening/closing when the AC was turned on. The air coming from the AC was being diluted with hot air from under the hood.

Has anyone heard of this and is there a simple fix for it? The indy has contacted the stealer and the stealer wants him to bring the car to him. I need to reply to the indy ASAP on what to do.

PLEASE HELP!!

·
6th Grade
14,917 Posts
It isn't that hard to work on.

The "indy" is just afraid to get his hands dirty.

Either the cable has slipped in the control head bracket, or it slipped at the blend door.

The end.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sharky or anyone. Please give me more details. I know how an AC works, but I don't know where to locate these items you are talking about.

Thanks

·
6th Grade
14,917 Posts
There is way too much info to go through, but basically, you can pull the head out. The red marked cable is the temp cable. Make sure it is seated correctly.

If it is, you problem is at the door.

You can just see where it attaches to the door if you pull the center console, from the driver's footwell.

This probably isn't something you want to do yourself.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here's the latest.

This weekend I took apart the A/C control interface to insure the red cable is seated properly. It is. While I had it apart, I played with the cold/hot knob. I noticed that when I turned it all the way to 'cold' I could hear a thump behind the dash as if a door was closing.

One thing I have noticed is that out of the four air vents across the front of the dash, cool air only blows out of the third one from the drivers door (of the two vents in the middle of the dash, it's the one on the right). I also notice that this vent has the highest flow out of the four vents.

Please help me!!! What is the next troubleshooting step?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh, they're open. I forgot to mention that I noticed the vent issue both before and after I took the console apart.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Well I'd check the connections at the blend door itself. If I remember correctly you can pull the glovebox pretty easily and look at the system from there. Just remove the torx screws all the way around the glovebox, you might find some on the bottom of the dash too.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the info.

I've never seen the blend door. Can anyone describe it or give me a link to a site that describes it or shows pictures?

TIA

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey CRD99, thanks for the pic!! That will help me a lot. Could you or someone else out there do me a solid and post the legend to the part identifications?

Thanks

·
Registered
55 Posts
any updates?

hey.. so any updates on this issue?

I have exactly the same symptoms as you describe. Turning the AC knob to the mid point gives me hot air, and it's only when the knob is halfway down to 'cool' do i finally start to get cold air. AND just like you, the third vent from the driver door blows the coldest air (haven't tested the forth one it's too far to reach while driving ;)

were you able to get this fixed? if so, what did you/they do?

thanks!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts