Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone,

I had a weird experience with an Air Freshner I brought. I've had it for about a week, and I noticed on the gear shift (not the boot but the actual console) it seemed to start to deteriorate. It almost looks as if the material started melting. I used to keep the air freshners in my old car on the shifter, but I bet you I won't put it on the shifter of this car anymore! :)

Anyone else had a similar experience?

·
Registered
248 Posts
:lol:

This post cracks me up... I still have the smell of "Drakkar Noir" air fresheners in my nose from my glory days of high school (I was kicking it in my 85 Buick Century with 15" JL sub and Alpine deck :oops: )

Anyways, I agree with A-tiller, get those nasty things out of your car ASAP!

Laters,
-Chris

·
the Sal wannabe
4,901 Posts
i think the chemicals on that tree react to certain materials after being exposed to it for a period of time. i remember leaving 1 on top of my sketchbook and after a few days it bonded with it... as in melted in to the cover. if you still want to have it, u should just hang it where it doesnt make contact with anything. or you can get the new car smell perfume they have out there....

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Slider said:
ShrinerMonkey said:
Those trees only bring up thoughts of the film "seven" for me. :nervous: :puke:
They always remind me of the movie Repo Man.

Either way, they smell pretty bad and probably emit toxic fumes, especially on hot days.
Ahhh Repo Man... one of the greatest films of all time. :thumbup:

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
I hate those trees, we actually tried out on our old Accord those small air freshener cans from Asian supermarkets, they have this cool citrus scent which fits into the cup holders - they smell good and are fairly stealth - I have yet to use one on our VWs tho.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Darth Volkswagen said:
I actually like the smell of those trees. Maybe I am crazy but so be it. I think it actually says on the package for the freshener not to have any contact with any plastic parts of the car or something like that.

Thad. :D
I'm glad to see I'm not the only one :)

It may have, but I didn't see it. I had assumed wrong because I never had the problem before, but now that I think about it on my old car, the shifter wasn't really into the console like the Passat.

·
Registered
281 Posts
How do you get the air freshner smell out? I'm sort of borrowing my son's car for a while and he always had those smelly things hanging in there. I can't get the nasty air freshner smell out. I tried spreading a whole lot of baking soda over the seats and floor and then vacuum. It helps only a little and then the smell comes right back. The evaporating oil appears to have been absorbed everywhere -- deep in the plastics, upholstery, floor carpeting

Would a professional detailer help?

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
jlhct said:
atomicalex said:
What makes the oils in the air freshers airborne is similar to plasticiser. I imagine it plasticised the plastic and it got gooey?
Yes, that is exactly what happened!
Yeah, it's all part of the big conspiracy between the auto makers and the aftermarket car care product manufacturers...just one more way they're keepin' the VW owner down!

Here's what you really need!:

...or, if that's not your style, there's plenny to choose from here: :lol:
http://www.foxwell.com.hk/afg.htm

BTW, FWIW...I've never seen "Repo Man"...one of these days I've gotta rent it!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Air fresheners contain slightly volatile scents such as pine oil or lemon oil. These same chemicals are also effective at softening or even dissolving vinyl and/or acrylate polymers used in auto interiors, especially when the temperature in the car rises above 100 F.

You're better off just smoking a fine cuban cigar in the car every now and then!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.