Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So first off I want to thank the members that are very detailed in their responses! I have been on here the last few days reading post about potential solutions to the problem I have been having with my Passat. It is a 1999 1.8. I was almost positive the things I tried would have cleared it up, but sadly it isn't any different than before.:mad:

I drove it fine last Sat and later that night I started it up and it started shaking horribly and I had the blinking CEL. So I turned it off and got on google which led me to this site. First thing we did was attempt to change the spark plugs and when we took the coil pack off the 3rd one we realized there was oil in there around the spark plug. So we took the plugs out, cleaned out the oil, changed the valve cover gasket and plugs. Started it up, still ran like sh*t.
So today I broke down and bought the coil pack for the 3rd one that had oil in it yesterday since the oil had gotten up in the coil pack as well. I was told if you take the bad coil pack off and start it that if it runs the same then that coil pack is bad. If you take a good one off and test it then it would run worse. I was like alright fingers crossed this will hopefully fix the problem. Nope. It is still rough and have the blinking light. I don't trust to drive it to the part store to get a code. I'm scared I will mess something else up.
I am wondering if I already messed up the catalytic converter? What else could it be? I can't afford to take it to a shop to get it fixed, so I have been relying on the info I find on here.
Any suggestions would be great! Thank you!

·
Registered
222 Posts
Try swapping the coil pack that you think doesn't work with one that you think does work... If it's a coil pack the misfire will follow the coilpack... It could also be a faulty icm... But the fact is.. U need to get your codes pulled... Buy a cheap code scanner and scan them Urself as long as you get the codes

·
Registered
2004 GLS 1.8T
12,142 Posts
Thank you for the advice!! From other post, it seems like an easy part to replace?
Yes, two screws, ten minutes. Don't forget you need to clean the surface of the heat sink on the air box, and use a thin layer of thermal paste between.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay the ICM was that problem. Thank you! Found it brand new on ebay for $60 when the part store wanted $300 something..

NOW.. I have white smoke coming from my hood. Or it looks white.. it's dark out. What could this be? Is it from where I had oil leaking before the valve cover gasket was sealed? I want to run it into a tree right now lol

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
And it's a burning smell. The coolant is fine and the temp didn't go up. I only drove it about 2 blocks when I realized the smoke and I turned around and came back to the house. It didn't do this prior to sitting there til the ICM was changed out. So I am hoping it is from where the oil was leaking when my valve cover gasket wasn't sealed the first time he put it on.

·
Moderate Moderator
16,485 Posts
Open the hood and look.

If oil leaked/dripped onto surfaces that get super hot, it will smolder and smoke.

If it's oil left over from a leak that was fixed, it'll stop smoking on its own.
If its still leaking, it'll keep smoking.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Okay leak is fixed now I just wanted to be sure it would stop on it's own or if it was another issue that needed to be fixed. Is it safe to let it run to burn it off? Thanks!

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,738 Posts
Yep just deal with it for a day or so while it burns off. If fixed, it shouldn't keep smoking for more than a day depending on how far you drove

1 - 12 of 12 Posts