Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night on the way home I decided to lower my windows since it was so nice out, only to have my pleasurable drive crushed by the sound of the window stopping and the motor continuing to run!!!! This is the same regulator that was supposedly fixed under warranty a year ago (I think, will have to check my paperwork). I know what the problem is as it has been documented many times on the forum. But here are a couple other questions:

- Is there any extended warranty (either written or implied) on a component that fails after it has been fixed once by the dealer? I don't have my paperwork for the repair in front of me.

- I would need to see how the clip that fails works, but has anyone ever "painted" the part with JB Weld, epoxy, or used some other reinforcing method to the original part? If it can be done, I would think encasing it in something like JB Weld would keep it running almost forever!

It seems rediculous that I've owned 2 VWs of different platforms separated by almost 10 yrs. and they STILL have not improved their window regulator design (had 2 break on a 1996 Mk3, this is now my 2nd on this 2004). Since I get the feeling they did not fix it correctly the first time, I plan to do the repair myself and do it so I minimize it failing again!!!!

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,817 Posts
Repairs performed at any VW dealer using genuine VW parts are warranted (parts and labor) against failure for a period of...

one year.

I'd say take it back and bitch at them anyway if you still have the receipt.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
3,286 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Can someone confirm that the rear window regulator is completely different than the front on a B5.5, or vs. a B5 in general?

I printed out the DIY (link above), bought the repair kit and went to work on fixing my rear window this weekend. I get the door card off and was surprised to to see the metal "vapor barrier" (was expecting plastic like older VWs). I unbolt the metal barrier far enough to peak behind and see the interface for the window and regulator. The way it connects is via a plastic trough on the regulator and a hole drilled in the window pane with a plastic pin that locks the 2 together. My pin had simply fallen out. I have pics of my reinstall that I will post when I have a highspeed connection.

The reason I ask for confirmation is that if the front windows interface in the same way, the current write-up and repair kit mentioned in the write-up does not apply to a 2004 Passat. I did not have the time, energy or reason to dismantle my front door to confirm. I think I may have a completely different animal.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
The front and rear are different.

Rears typically fail by having the pin fall out as yours did. Not sure how it happens, but I think it has something to do with trying to open the windows when they are frozen shut.

The fronts fail when the guide clips holding the lifter cables to the window clamp break. They get brittle with time. I changed mine yesterday and I found 13 different pieces of the clips inside the door. I think that's a record.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts