Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
11/15/2003
I know it may sound a bit psychotic (if I spelled that right), but I am actually thinking of selling my brand new 17" wheel setup in favor of the same wheels in their 18" variation. I guess this is just a teaser to see if anyone here would want to buy my 17x8" ASA AR1 wheels with 235/45WR17 Sumitomo HTR+ All-Season tires that have less than 2,500 miles on them. Everything is in perfect condition...I just think I want 18" instead. I just paid abut $1,180 for the set shipped to my door in late August. PM me if interested with an offer.
End of Edit

Well, I got new wheels about four weeks ago and the Eibach bug struck. I got my car lowered about three weeks later and here is the result. WOW. That is all I can say. 80% as comfortable as stock, but now with the handling of a true sports sedan. I couldn't be happier with the results.

I also got some vinyl VW centercaps made up to cover the ugly chrome/blue ASA caps that came with the wheels. What a difference $20 makes.

I feel my ride has VASTLY improved in appearance now.

So what do you all think? 8)

So what would you do next if it was your Passat? So far I just have wheels, tires, and Eibach Pro-System (springs and dampers). Should I get strut tower braces? Anti-roll bars? Chip the engine? Votex pieces? Stubby antennea?

·
Registered
133 Posts
The car looks awesome. :bow: Are those 235/45 17's? Also, where did you get those vinyl covers for the center caps? I'd love to have some on my Borbets.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Antoddio said:
Looking nice and clean! :thumbup:

Most people would say chip here.

What rims and offset are those?
Thanks!

The rims are ASA AR1 17x8" with a 35mm offset. ASA rims are liscensed by BBS, so it is like having a BBS wheel for much cheaper price!

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
cgabb1 said:
The car looks awesome. :bow: Are those 235/45 17's? Also, where did you get those vinyl covers for the center caps? I'd love to have some on my Borbets.
Thanks buddy!

Yes, the tires are 235/45WR17.

The vinyl covers were made by a local shop here in Overland Park, KS called Banners and Signs To Go for about $20.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
:thumbup: Looks really good. Very balanced! I am not a fan of body kits as I like the stealthy understated sports sedan (wagon in my case) look. I have been contemplating the Eibach ProSystem for some time now and this is pushing me closer to pulling the trigger.

Where did you get the wheels?

And oh yes, chip it!

·
Registered
869 Posts
I love it. Now you just need to get rid of the swirl marks in your paint.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Felio - I got the wheels at www.tirerack.com Get the Eibach System! Order it from Darryl at shox.com and he will give clubb5 members a good discount.

Triumph - how would you reccommend that I get rid of the swirl marks? In the pictures the car was washed about a week ago, so it is not quite as clean as it could be. Still, I agree they need to go, so what should I buy to do it?

·
Registered
917 Posts
Re: Ahhh yes, Eibach Pro-System and VW Centercaps - 56K Beware

Bleser said:
So what would you do next if it was your Passat? So far I just have wheels, tires, and Eibach Pro-System (springs and dampers). Should I get strut tower braces? Anti-roll bars? Chip the engine? Votex pieces? Stubby antennea?
Engine. Must chip engine!

And sunglass holder.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Bleser said:
Triumph - how would you reccommend that I get rid of the swirl marks? In the pictures the car was washed about a week ago, so it is not quite as clean as it could be. Still, I agree they need to go, so what should I buy to do it?
I have been using 3M Finesse-it II Finishing Material (part# 051131-05928), which is about $30 a bottle and doe a really good job when used in conjunction with a random orbital buffer. It can be purchased at any pro detail store.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Looks right at home on the Plaza. What a great area.

·
Registered
869 Posts
coloradob5 said:
Bleser said:
I have been using 3M Finesse-it II Finishing Material (part# 051131-05928), which is about $30 a bottle and doe a really good job when used in conjunction with a random orbital buffer. It can be purchased at any pro detail store.
I've seen 3M bottles for usually around $15, but this is what I would recommend for swirl marks. 3M makes very good auto detailing products. What you need to do to remove swirl marks is to apply an abbrasive to the paint to buff out the swirls (which are just very light scratches). Sounds bad, but it isn't. Generally, what you want to do is start with the lightest abbrasive product, see if you get results, if not, go onto something more abbrasive, until the swirls are gone.

Now, an easier but less effective method is to use 3M's Imperial Hand Glaze to fill the swirl marks. This makes it look like they are gone, but in actuality it is only filling them and is a temporary solution. It is easier to do, though.

It is alot of work, but it's what you have to do to keep a dark car looking its best!

3M's online store:
http://www21.3m.com/dr/v2/ec_MAIN.E...7835&xid=28181&DSP=&CUR=840&PGRP=0&CACHE_ID=0

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Bleser,

What did you have to provide Banners and Signs To Go for the covers? How do they attach?

Thanks! Looks great btw!!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts