Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i think my 5 spd 99 passat v6 has finally run into the ground....or has it? it has 180k on it, still runs amazingly smooth and well. never has not started or broken down on me. but needs ball joints all around. tie rod ends, a bunch of sensors, 2 new cats. bassicly around 2000 in parts or so im told. my mechanic told me i might be able to sell it for parts. especially front end body panels. is this true? would my car be desireable to anyone looking to fix, or just part it out?

·
In reverse, but chained to a tree.
13,906 Posts
i think my 5 spd 99 passat v6 has finally run into the ground....or has it? it has 180k on it, still runs amazingly smooth and well. never has not started or broken down on me. but needs ball joints all around. tie rod ends, a bunch of sensors, 2 new cats. bassicly around 2000 in parts or so im told. my mechanic told me i might be able to sell it for parts. especially front end body panels. is this true? would my car be desireable to anyone looking to fix, or just part it out?
your mechanic is full of crap, to put it bluntly.
half of this work can be done for yourself at about ~$500 for the suspension components. (ball joints are permanently pressed in, and not removeable.) it would be a wise idea to replace the control arms if you're in need of a few ball joints, because your inner control arm bushings are more than likely shot as well.

tie rod ends can be found over at www.ecstuning.com along with the suspension components. this is sort of another job you can do yourself....

i say sort of, because as the alignment will basicallt be disconnected for the install of the tie rod ends, you will need an alignment done. figure ~$100 at a vw dealership. (i don't trust other shops.)

as for the cats...
you may be able to take your car to a midas if infact they really are bad.
take your car to VW first, and have the ecu reflashed for the o2 sensor tolerances. there was a few problems in the past with this.

i believe PZ said he had that code until he had rebuilt his engine. then it went away and never came back. (bsaically, just pull the negative and positive for a few minutes then put it back on to erase the code and see if it comes back :p if it does, action will need to be taken.)

the cats prices i believe could possibly be around the range of ~$2-300 or so for some cheapo models. if you want the vw cats, be prepared to shovel $1300 a unit.

on a side note, why can't you just remove the damn things and clean them? there has GOT to be some sort of fluid that you can drown it in to clean it!

unless your car gets into an accident, it's still a good car. don't let these few problems scare you away.

these are all part of our maint. list for when the car gets around ~100,000 miles anywho :p

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hey,

thanks alot for the insight... i sometimes wondor when i should stop fixing it. it does have alot of other minor issues... like windows sunroof and mirrors not working, the AC is shot, shocks all around are completely gone. has some sort of evap leak which is causing the valvcover gaskets to seep oil. the thing is im a music guy..not a car guy haha. so i dont have many tools. especially for front end work. are there any walkthroughs around that would tell me all the tools i need and a step by step process? im fairly confident in myself...i think. just moneys a little tight and im afraid after i fix this, im gonna need an engine, or clutch, or something

·
Registered
2001 Passat wagon; 2016 Golf Sportwagen
5,460 Posts
For what it's worth, my 19-year-old son just swapped out the tie rod ends on his 2000 S4, with a little coaching from me on the first one and completely by himself on the second. Working deliberately and cautiously, I'll bet you could each in less than an hour.

·
Registered
5,335 Posts
The "evap leak" is likely a clogged PCV system; not a problem with the evap emissions system.

That said, I kind of agree with your mechanic. Unless you are willing to DIY these things, I'd part it out. With all these niggling things wrong with it, on top of the parts it needs to pass inspection, I think it might be time to stick a fork in it. 180k isn't a great amount of life for a car, but it isn't awful either.

Get a second opinion at another shop, (don't tell them what the first shop said), and if they concur, bid it a fond farewell.

SirWired

·
Registered
594 Posts
I say keep it and do the work yourself....that me though...most of the work can be done yourself and the parts can be found at reasonable prices...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts