-cluth fan
-new fan blade
-thermostat
-water pump
-timing belt
-tensioner
-windshield wipers
-hood lift

Now the stop engine, oil pressure light came on!!! My sister took my car from WI to IL and on way back the light came on!! They checked oil level and it was below minimum though I just changed oil last week with yes, synthetic. So they filled it up with more oil, drove couple miles and light still came back on!!! Ahhhhhh. I have spent too much money on this car. Any ideas to what it is?! I'm at home, car is in IL. Sister and Broinlaw are looking at it. He knows what he is doing but I need your help in this.

·
Registered
2004 GLS 1.8T
12,142 Posts
Most important, DO NOT drive the car with the oil pressure light on! Not to the dealer, not to test it, not at all. Park it, with the engine off, until you confirm or disprove the warning.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's at about 125000k miles. I've had it since 90000k. I've always used synthetic. Changed oil about every 3000 as often as I could. Before the most recent oil change though, I didn't change the oil for about 5000k miles.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
But I've driven the car after last oil change for about 100 or 200 miles. Last oil change went well too. Oil pump? Oil sensor?

·
Registered
206 Posts
It's at about 125000k miles. I've had it since 90000k. I've always used synthetic. Changed oil about every 3000 as often as I could. Before the most recent oil change though, I didn't change the oil for about 5000k miles.
I hope you mean 5k miles...

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Please don't tell me sludge. I've always changed it in timely manner and always used synthetic.

·
Registered
206 Posts
It could be a ruptured oil cooler gasket, have them check to see if there is oil in the coolant and vice versa. It may seem like a dumb question but are there identifiable leaks that they can see?

·
Registered
2004 GLS 1.8T
12,142 Posts
But I've driven the car after last oil change for about 100 or 200 miles. Last oil change went well too. Oil pump? Oil sensor?
Yeah. An oil pressure warning on a 1.8T is overwhelmingly likely to be sludge clogging the oil pump pickup tube. Every now and then, we hear about a failed sender. Theoretically, it could be something else - but not in the five years I've been here.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah. An oil pressure warning on a 1.8T is overwhelmingly likely to be sludge clogging the oil pump pickup tube. Every now and then, we hear about a failed sender. Theoretically, it could be something else - but not in the five years I've been here.
Is that the orange tube where oil stick is?

·
Registered
36 Posts
It is attached to the oilpump and I just changed the whole thing out since I had to remove the oilpan .I purchased this motor second hand from a guy who said it had about 90 thou on it . I wish I would of did the pump and pickup before I put it in but was trying to save money because the original engine suffered from a failed timing belt and stripped head bolts. I had to scrap it. and get this one. I put it in and it sounded fine but after a test run the oillight was coming on and chiming. I attempted to clean it and use various meyhods discussed on this site and others but eventually it kept coming back. But since I changed the pickup. cleaned scraped the head. changed turbo oil drain tube and cleaned various lines. I have not seen the light while driving.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Good luck with it and hope its a glitch but I I would prepare for the worse and hope for the best. But if you need any recent pointers on removing the pan there is a lot of good info here from guys who done it already.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Please don't tell me sludge. I've always changed it in timely manner and always used synthetic.
But you wouldn’t know what kind of oil was used before 90000K miles and most likely it was the dino oil during the early stage of your 1.8T engine life since even VW dealers were using conventional oil for 1.8T! This is one of the major risks of getting a used 1.8T Passat since you will never know.

·
Moderate Moderator
16,485 Posts
Get a mechanical oil pressure gauge on there and see what the actual oil pressure is. Once you know that, you'll be ale to decide what to do next.

·
Registered
399 Posts
If you loose about two quarts over a VERY short time / milage period it could be a broken oil pressure sensor - it's tucked in under the manifold on the side of the engine.

I got mine home and to the dealer by loading up on oil and adding it as needed (i.e. as soon as the light went on). Not th ebest way to do it, but I was not in a position to get the car towed. The engine was checked out as OK afterwards and has done many more miles without problems.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Possibly having the car towed the the nearest Stealership. I am wondering if you guys think changing the oil pump, pick up tube, and sensor will do? Are these the main things to replace when oil pressure light comes on?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts