Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was doing 78 in a 55 at 1am... Was going down a hill and gained speed... Luckily the cop was feeling nice and just gave me a seat belt ticket (hah i had my seatbelt on too)!!

Instead of a 245$ fine i now have a nice 37$ one...

Not too worried about paying the ticket off, just worried about my insurance... This is my first ticket ever, will this raise my rates? Ticket is from CT

·
Registered
3,768 Posts
Popped the old cherry huh...? Congrats.

It IS a moving violation so they can raise your rent if they want, here in NY anyway. But I cant imagine those blood sucking insurance companies passing up a money maker like that anywhere, it just depends if they were able to bribe your politicians or not. It's a HELL of a lot better than a 78 in a 55 ticket though.

·
Registered
5,260 Posts
In TX they CAN'T raise you're rates from a ticket. But I don't know about CT. Personally, I'd just call your ins. company and tell them about it and ask.

·
Registered
358 Posts
jeez, your first ticket.. should have kept the $245 one.. more memorable so when you're telling that story down the road of life, your grandkids will look at you and say "wow my granddad/mom was a badasssss"

·
Registered
9,415 Posts
might go high if your insurance is under your parents and they did not put you on the policy .. now with that if your parents and you have the same address your rates will sky rocket as soon as your insurance finds out your driving ..

·
The Rubberband Man
3,552 Posts
My ins. company (Oregon) tells me rates are increased only when they do a Department of Motor Vehicle check, or audit. Otherwise it is not known to them. :)

Drive safe.

uu8

·
RETIRED Super Stealth Moderator
27,900 Posts
MOST insurance companies won't raise your rates for that in CT.
I think you're sweating the small crap on this one.

·
Resident a-hole knowitall
15,715 Posts
MOST insurance companies won't raise your rates for that in CT.
I think you're sweating the small crap on this one.
this is true unless you get more than 2 seat belt violations in 5 years (i thnk its 5 might be less) now speeding tickets on the other hand, i only know if you get a few in RI than your insurance doesnt go up ;). in fact mine just went down because im such a good driver :whistle:.

but ya your sweating the small ticket just be happy with what you got and pay the fine, and always remember it could have been worse.

How old are you since this was your first time?

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
this is true unless you get more than 2 seat belt violations in 5 years (i thnk its 5 might be less) now speeding tickets on the other hand, i only know if you get a few in RI than your insurance doesnt go up ;). in fact mine just went down because im such a good driver :whistle:.

but ya your sweating the small ticket just be happy with what you got and pay the fine, and always remember it could have been worse.

How old are you since this was your first time?
22... I always said it was a matter of time until i was caught speeding bc i drive alot and drive over the speed limit most of the time...

·
Registered
800 Posts
Does anyone think driving a Passat would portray a more mature responsible driver, and so the cop felt hes not a dangerous driver and should only get a lower fine.

·
Registered
126 Posts
My arse, around here they look twice as hard at the nicer cars, and figure you have the money to pay it.

Got a ticket the third day I drove my Passat in town. First thing the cop said, "WHO'S CAR IS THIS?" When I said mine, I swear to god he smiled.

Fought the ticket, paid 60 instead of 250. Arsehole cop, I was going at LEAST 5mph BELOW the speed he showed me on his gun..Myself and the wife were commenting on how nice the car felt at around a corner. The cop tags me at the end of that corner saying I was going 12 KPH faster than I was.....sure buddy.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts