Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So whenever i drive in the rain i cant see...so i turn on my wipers....oh no now i can see less because the whole windsheided is covered in some foggy residue left over by the wiper blades. (after a while it seems to go away)....

so i replaced the wiper blades. Now after the 3rd or 4th use i can see this gunk re-appearing on the windsheild when i used the wipers. its not too bad yet but i seems to be gettin worse

my theory is my windshield is so damaged by rocks that it just eats up the blades and makes them leave their coating behind or something....any ideas?

·
Registered
285 Posts
If you have residue, try something strong like bug and tar remover, acetone, or foaming glass cleaner like the dealer sells (usually around $5-7/can, also find in the detailing section-expensive, but works).

If wiper blades over a year old, replace. With new ones, run some 91% isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol over the blades with a paper towel to clean.

Then...find a warm-ish day, and put 3-4 coats of RainX on the windshield when the windshield is nice and clean. Helps keep bugs off, easier on wipers, and if going over about 35mph you do not really need wipers unless it is a mist.

·
Super Moderator
14,046 Posts
Try some No-Touch Auto Glass Stripper on the windshield.

·
Registered
6,143 Posts
Urlik said:
Try some No-Touch Auto Glass Stripper on the windshield.

I second that. I stopped using Rain-X because thae wipers would chatter profusely when it started to wear off and the only way I found to remove it completely was this stuff.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well i have some invisible glass in the garage....would that help or should i go searching for some of the products you guys mentioned?

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Newspaper and windex has always worked pretty well on my winsheild, i dont know too much about glass cleaning products and stuff but you can also try using some old claybar on it. Wash with soap, claybar, wash again, throw on some rain-x.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i think i need something more abrasive, something to even out all the chips and imperfections

·
Registered
5,335 Posts
I have seen Bon Ami powder suggested in several places (including the owner's manual for my '98 Prizm) as a good way to scrub a windshield clean for when glass cleaner just won't do the job. It has the advantage of being cheap since it is not a specialty auto detailing product.

It should be available at the grocery store or your local Target/Wal-Mart/whateverMart in the part of the store with kitchen and bathroom cleaners.

SirWired

1 - 11 of 11 Posts