Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night my glasses were on my dash and as I made I turn they fell off. SO at the next light I pulled the E brake up to stop the car from going foward as I reached for my glasses. I felt the brakes draging a bit so I pulled over to a lot and pulled the E brake alll the way up and all the way down. I thought this would free up the brake, but instead it locked it up. so after waiting for a flat bed for two hours I had it towed home. As he was rolling it off the truck the brakes freed up again (WTF). Any ideas on what could be going on?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
I believe rolling backwards is part of the E-brake release mechnism. I have doubt about a rusty cable in AZ, but anything is possible. You should check your e-brake cables under the car for damage ie. pinched, broken, damaged casing etc. and lube them up if there is any way to do so. You should alsw check the mechanism they attach to on the rear caliper and give that a little shot of lube too (careful not to get any lube on your discs or pads!!!) This spring mechanism maybe gunked up and could use a leaning.

Of course if you are under warranty you should take it to the damn dealer and let deal with it while you suck free coffee.

·
Registered
2001 Passat wagon; 2016 Golf Sportwagen
5,460 Posts
Did both rear brakes lock up, or just one? On cars with the ubiquitous self-adjusting drum brakes, braking while in reverse automatically advanced the ratcheted screws, thereby moving the shoes outward to compensate for wear. On our Passats, pulling the parking brake lever effects brake adjustment by forcing the caliper piston closer to the rotor. (They are screw-threaded, which is why we need a special tool to retract them when replacing brake pads.) I suspect you pulled the parking brake lever too far / too hard, thereby cramming the pads against the rotors.

It would definitely not hurt to inspect the entire rear brake system, from parking brake to calipers (make sure they slide freely) to pads and rotors.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I installed a new brake lighht switch and adjusted it to tight so it was pressing the brake down and causing me to build up heat. With heat the brakes would just get tigther untill the ceased.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts