Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many of you out there have 17s and wish you went with the 18s instead? I'm 6 days away from my new car and I have to make a decision. TireRack is a great site but I really can't get a feel for the differnce btw the 17s and 18s. Anybody think I should go for the 18s instead of 17? FYI I will have a 1.2 drop on a 2004 gls passat....I'm leaning towards 18s as of right now.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
I went from 15"'s to 17"'s since they'd be lighter than 18"'s. I bought what was supposed to be a light rim, not the lightest, but 20lbs each and noticed a small decrease on my acceleration time. Things to keep in mind when purchasing wheels: Do you want performance or looks? How are the roads where you live? How much $ do you want to spend? 18" are a little more expensive, and so are the tires. I'm happy with my 17" but quite a few people choose to sell theirs and go with 18" afterwards. HTH

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
If you go with a very open wheel design, you should be able to "get away with" running 17s. I've got such a design, and am very glad, because it gives me the looks, while letting me still have a good amount of rubber on the sidewalls. Some want as little as possible, but I like the amount I have. Not to mention the wheels and tires are less expensive that way. :D

But if you go with something that's got a bit of a lip on it, or is deep-dish, then basically 17s will look like 16s (or smaller), so 18s or 19s will be necessary to get the proper looks. :)

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
If you go with 18's watch the wheel weight! Most generic 18's run a little on the heavy side and with the Passat you may be in for an interesting ride.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
Wheel weight.
My stock 15's with tires = 37lbs
Aftermarket 18's with tire = 47lbs
Most who get 17' end up selling them to get 18" which are pretty much the norm now.
Good luck :wink:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
7 Participants
Warped
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing