Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of replacing the stock Monsoon HU on my Passat with an aftermarket unit.

I am looking for an HU that plays CDs and MP3, has CD changer control, and has an auxiliary input.

I've seen some at Crutchfield that may fill the bill, but some come with front panel aux inputs and others have rear aux inputs.

My question is if the auxiliary input is mounted in the rear, how do you access it to plug something into it? I mean, if I want to plug an IPod into the HU, will I be able to do this with an HU that has a rear mounted auxiliary input? (I can easily see how an IPod could plug into an HU with a front-panel aux input).

Also, I'd like the HU to be able to work with a CD/MP3 changer. I've found 3 such changers (Sony CDX757MX, Alpine CHA-S634, JVC CHX1500). Can anyone recommend an aftermarket HU that can control a CD/MP3 changer and has an "accessible" auxiliary input?

TIA

·
Registered
68 Posts
Alpine is releasing this:
http://www.alpine-usa.com/products/leading_technology/leading_tech_kca-420i.htm

You can control your ipod from the headunit. Not sure how the mounting would go, but obvioulsy you would be able to remove the iPod easily or the interface would be pointless.

Must HU's have the aux inputs in the back, but you could run the cables to the glovebox or somehwere where you could easily swap rca devices with an adaptor.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So if you have auxiliary inputs in the rear, can you feed them into the glove compartment so that they are accessible for an mp3 player? Thanks, Hooper.

Is anybody actually doing this?

·
Banned
3,535 Posts
you can route two rca cables ( plug/jack) to one of the blank swichtes on the dash , to one of the little cubbies on your center console or the glove compartment , then you just plug and play...

Or you can leave the cable pluged to the HU and just plug the other end to the Ipod whenever you want.

Fabio

·
Registered
422 Posts
If you plan on hooking up an IPOD then have a look the newer blaupunkt units, they not only allow you to connect all the various bit and pieces you want but also allow you to control an IPOD from the HU if you don't have a CD changer installed.

Here a link to it on the UK online store.
http://www.bluespot.co.uk/stock/ipod_cradle.asp

If you do have a changer you can still play whatever you want through the second AUX input.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.