Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
6th Grade
14,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just spent probably 18 hours on a car (2001 AUG Passat) chasing a cam sensor code. This engine had already had a new chain tensioner/cam timing adjuster, seals, TRANSMISSION, cam sensor, crank sensor, and a whole pile of other crap put on it 9k miles ago by some dealer in New Jersey.

I put the Sharky touch on it and lo and behold, it WAS NOT FIXED. The code changed on me (P0011 was the final one) when I started staring VERY hard at this "Security" brand oil filer. I have never seen this brand before, but I live in the midwest so maybe it was a local thing to Jersey.

While many of us, myself included, have heard tales of weird things caused by cheapo oil filters, I have yet to see this happen personally. I decided to change it anyway with the real thing.

As you have already guessed, the tensioner started working correctly instantly. I don't know why and I frankly don't care just what is wrong with the filter that was on it. However, I asked around quite a bit and no one I know who does this for a living has EVER had a problem with a VW brand filter.

So-for whatever it might be worth, don't skimp on oil filter quality. I know 90% of the people here are enthusiasts and wouldn't do this anyway because that isn't what you do when you love your car, but just in case you're ever tempted, DON'T.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Thanks for the info Sharky. Thats extremely wierd but strange things happen (probably a glitch in the matrix :D ). On a side note, I read an interesting "study" (if you wanna call it that) from a guy that did a little research on oil filters. I think the guy worked in the petroleum field somehow but not sure. Anyway, he basically took about 8 brands of filters, and disected each one. The results were about what you would expect - you get what you pay for. One thing I thought was interesting though was that the Fram filter was pretty poorly made (cardboard cap at the end etc.etc. For some reason I always thought, up to then, that Fram made a decent filter. I know you have to be leary of what you read and all (there is a lot of opinion and misinformation out there) but the guys report (with pictures) made me never want to use Fram. And you don't even want to know what the filters the jiffy quick minute express bargan bonanza lube places use looked like

EDIT: for anyone interested, below is a link to a copy of the article. I think the original page may have been removed. I saw this for the first time about 6 years ago and at that time the author had a disclaimer because Allied (maker of Fram) had sought leagal action and threatened to sue if he did not remove it :roll: :roll: :roll: so he may have had to remove the page. And just for the vote - I use Bosch filters

http://www.scuderiaciriani.com/rx7/oil_filter_study/

EDIT II: Jackpot. Below is a link to the web page. Looks like the guy is still testing and expanding his tests to more filters. My previous statement about testing after use was incorrect. He is simply disecting the filters (memory is getting bad at an early age). The link is to the german filter section - enoy http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilterstudy-german.html#72150

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Sharky, you the man. I am using a Bosh right now.. plan on getting really back to OEM with a Mann.

MDG - Sharky is the man. Fault codes and engine problems shutter at the man... they yell PLEASE we give up..

·
Registered
350 Posts
I just bought a bunch of Mahle brand filters from ECS Tuning. They were listed on their site as OEM filters so I thought they were Mann's. Are these just as good at the Bosch's and Mann's?

·
Registered
666 Posts
Perce said:
I just bought a bunch of Mahle brand filters from ECS Tuning. They were listed on their site as OEM filters so I thought they were Mann's. Are these just as good at the Bosch's and Mann's?
me too, and yes I believe so :D

·
Registered
7 Posts
Nothing beats stock filters. Besides when the engine blows and they tow it in for warranty work they can't blame it on the filter :nervous:

·
Registered
91 Posts
So what's the verdict? Is the Mahle filter as good as the OEM Mann filter? I just purchased a Mahle filter from ECS tuning and I'm planning on changing my oil this weekend. If this thing blows chunks I'll just run down to the dealer and pick up the Mann filter.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I've refused to use anything else other than what I buy at the dealer's parts, or the Bosch #3402 (for V6s) at AutoZone.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I have always used Mann filters, never a problem.
For those who still insist on buying cheap filter mights as well use toilet paper for the filter element.

·
Registered
5,050 Posts
HKPassat said:
I've refused to use anything else other than what I buy at the dealer's parts, or the Bosch #3402 (for V6s) at AutoZone.
the bosch are actually crap filters. they used to be good but they recently changed their media & etc. you can look up some oil filter reviews online. Its as good as putting in a fram.

Purolator however, I think is decent because half the time, i see that its just a purolator sticker stuck on a Mann filter with Mann designations.

Dave

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
what about the famous napa "big kahuna"? Are there any other filters you'd recommend? For example, mobil1's, K&N, Amsoil (I hear they make a lowsy filter).

·
Registered
716 Posts
Sharky, didn't you say a few weeks ago that there was a TSB or ?? mandating use of teh oversized filters from the '04 on all 1.8T's?? See any reason to use anything other than that OEM filter?

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
I used to use Fram too, eventhough I work for company that owns Purolator. I always thought that fram are decent filter, until the time that I saw a result of the benchmarking test. I had no idea Fram is such a crap. I use Purolator only now. It is a decent filter for the money ;)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
About this Discussion
29 Replies
21 Participants
tdbear
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing