Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

Aftermarket Head Unit, OEM Look

4K views 22 replies 13 participants last post by  1.8Tttturbo 
#1 ·
I have search around and found a few threads about aftermarket head units that look oem (with matching red/blue lights). However, there is really a dearth of good pictures, and I haven't been able to find any comparisons that are very comprehensive at all.

So, if you have an aftermarket head unit in your car, it would be great to hear a little bit about how it looks in your car, how well the black matches, how well the red/blue lights match, etc. It would even be better to compile a good set of photos in this thread with pictures taken at night and in the day.

If you are interested in contributing to the cause, post away!

#13 ·
Hey man:
Where did you get, or how did you make the trim ring that you have going around your double din radio in this picture?? I have a double din nav unit that I'm going to be installing and I'm pretty sure I'm going to need a trim ring to make the install look proper. Hell, come to think of it, did your radio include a radio sleeve for install or did you have to fab some mounts to make it secure??

#4 ·
I just put in a kenwood DDX-6017. Looks VERY OEM. red buttons match, and the blue SRC button matches the blue dash VERY well!

The only problem is the 6017 has a silver frame. I actually messed up when bidding on ebay, I meant to buy the 6019. Black frame, same buttons. Looks very very OEM.

In addition, i put in: 10" alpine type R (in an Stl5B box), 600W alpine amp, HD Radio tuner, TV tuner, and an aux. jack. (for iPod, scanner, computer, whatever.) Didn't lose any trunk space, got all the wires hidden, nothing shows, except for a litle bit of the TV antenna at the bottom of the back window. All in all, I'm extremely pleased! All I have to do is adjust some SQ, but that will come with time.

PS how do you post picture in a thread...is it not possible in the "quick reply" box? (which is where i'm typing now...)

#15 ·
Well I could get a double din sleeve on ebay for next to nothing. But you were saying something about needing to fab mounts because even with sleeve there wouldn't be anything to lock the tabs to. Is that the case? If I put the radio in the opening is there nothing back there to hold it up, or does it just fall into the hole?

#22 ·
These are pics of my 7015 (I have a 7017 now, and it's for sale too). The 7105 is silver and the 7017 is a darker gray where the 7015 is silver. It blends a lot better than the 7015 did. The button lighting is identical to OEM and the sbreen is a very close match but I usually leave the background black.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.