Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
'01 b5.5 2.8 V6 auto, etc
service engine light came on and the dealer says one of my cats is bad and they of course want $1300 to fix it. definitely cant afford that route. i dont know much about 'em, can i use a universal one or does it have to be vehicle specific? dealer also said that the aftermarket ones will usually still cause the service engine light to come on, is this true? specific brands/part numbers would be very helpful. oh and i live in FL (no emissions). thanx in advance.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Have them check to see if the ECU has the latest firmware. The original version didn't have the correct limits set. My '00 showed 2 bad cats, but after an ECU reflash, they read fine.

·
In reverse, but chained to a tree.
13,904 Posts
go search for my thread i had made a few weeks ago called something along the lines of "rich ride, bad cat(s)??!"

someone mentioned a mucho cheaper alternative to the VW brand cats.

i went with vw's because of the 80k warranty they put on them.

·
Banned
8,975 Posts
It was discovered by "Them" (you're familiar with "Them", right? They're the guys who do everything) that catalytic converters can be cleaned with citric acid. I don't know the strength, though, but I'm guessing you'd need more than orange juice to clean your catcon with. That said, if you're going to have to get a new one anyway, why not take a shot at cleaning it by soaking it in some Orange Clean or something like that?

·
Registered
633 Posts
check this thread out it will save you a lot of money.
http://www.passatworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=190147&highlight=cat+codes+v6+p0431

If that doesn't turn out to be the case after market cats will work just fine if a competent shop does the work and correctly installs the O2 sensors. There is no need to give VW any more of your money for this problem. One reason not try the citric acid is because the labor in installing and removing the cats is substantail. If you do need new cats have them put in new flex bellows at the same time as they wear out quickly on these cars.
good luck

1 - 7 of 7 Posts