Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So... I've been feeding my blue beauty 5w30 Mobile1 for about 7 years now every 6-7K miles.

I now live in a moderate climate (no cold and no extreme heat). My car IS leaking oil, which I don't intend to fix anytime soon (about 1qt a month).

I want to switch back to regular oil... or possibly blend... to save on $$$.

Is this a bad idea? I would be spending about 1/2 to a 1/3 of the amt of money.

Was hoping this would not increase the leaks or damage my 15 yr old reliable car.

Any input is appreciated. Thank ya...

·
Registered
12,080 Posts
On a V6 engine car, I suspect that quality conventional oil, changed according to schedule, would be just fine. After all, it survived the wrong weight of oil, left in too long, for all these years. (GRIN)

·
RETIRED Super Stealth Moderator
27,899 Posts
you might also try switching to a 5W40 weight oil - it may not leak as badly, and since you are now in SOCAL, you can handle the heavier oil.

·
Registered
5,280 Posts
On a V6 engine car, I suspect that quality conventional oil, changed according to schedule, would be just fine. After all, it survived the wrong weight of oil, left in too long, for all these years. (GRIN)
The '98 owner's manual has a chart that shows 5W-30 "energy-conserving" oil as acceptable to 90 degrees F air temp, with the caution to avoid high-speed driving in hot weather when using 5W-30. However, there isn't anything wrong with 6K~7K change intervals using Mobil-1, which is about what I do. I've now just turned 231K miles on my V6, always used 5W-30 no matter what (temps even over 110 degrees F), and have had absolutely no engine issues. When I last changed the VCCs, I paid extra attention to the cam lobes and lifter faces. I couldn't see or feel any wear, the surfaces were just polished to perfection.

My advice to sonnybk is to inspect and change if necessary those valve cover gaskets. Then on you next oil change, use Valvoline Maxlife, which has seal conditioners. You could try a heavier weight oil, but the gas mileage may decrease.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
As mentioned, switching to a 5w40 could help in the loosing oil dept. Depending on the rate you lose a 5w40 grade, you could switch to Rotella T6 5w40. It's cheap and should be available at many places. At Wal-Mart near me it's about $22/gal. Since you don't plan on fixing the leak anytime soon, I'd try this first, though the maxlife seems to be a good idea as well.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I bought the 5w40 Rotella at Walmart. Thanks for the advice. Nice and cheap.

I asked the auto guy where the 5w40 oil was (because it was in a different section), and he said, "Sorry... all we have is WD40." So I found it myself.

Now I just need a filter (Walmart doesn't have B5 V6 filters).

·
Registered
5,280 Posts
I'm not going to get into a pointless oil debate, but let me say that in your case, with a leaky motor, I'd have chosen a "high mileage" gasoline engine oil with seal conditioners instead of the diesel truck oil, which is basically how Shell promotes Rotella. Anyway, most VW/Audi owners recommend using factory filters or Mann, Mahle rather than what they sell at Wal-Mart.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm not going to get into a pointless oil debate, but let me say that in your case, with a leaky motor, I'd have chosen a "high mileage" gasoline engine oil with seal conditioners instead of the diesel truck oil, which is basically how Shell promotes Rotella. Anyway, most VW/Audi owners recommend using factory filters or Mann, Mahle rather than what they sell at Wal-Mart.
Hmmmmm... I haven't changed my oil yet. I can still go that route. Was wondering which would be more effective and now I'm torn between both.

·
Registered
276 Posts
You should have no problems switching although if I were you I would stick with synthetic as it keeps your engine cooler (less friction), your engine will last longer, you get better gas mileage due to less friction and you could go longer inbetween oil changes if you wish then with conventional :) Why give all this up to save a few bucks that will come back and haunt you later when your going to say I wish I had not switched.

If your car is leaking oil you may stop the leak with conventional but eventually it will leak oil since the leak will get bigger so switching only saves you a little more time. It won't solve your oil leaking problem.

·
Registered
2001 Passat wagon; 2016 Golf Sportwagen
5,431 Posts
In coastal southern California 10W-30 is arguably a better choice than 5W-30. The first owner of my 1996 A4 alternated between the dealership and a local garage, and both recommended the 10W-30. For slowing leaks, the High Mileage oil suggestion has merit.

How do you guys feel about today's 10W-40 dinos? They were an engine warranty voider in the late 1970s, but I suspect the technology has improved considerably since then.

·
Registered
26,788 Posts
10W40 is fine for where he is. It will slow the leaks better on a warm engine. The high-mileage oil might slow the leaks as it should have seal swelling additives. I expect you could even run 20W50 there if you wanted. It's great for a leaky engine.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts