Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Banned
9,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some new parts. Thanks to Dave (starlightb5) I got some CPP (www.customperf.com) adjustable upper control arms. I also made an order to ECS for a set of front sway bar links. I must say... the units from CPP are VERY nice. I got home this afternoon to find the 2 boxes on my bed, so I began installing.

I was able to complete one side of the arms and links on the passenger side. It was getting dark out, and started to thunder and was there lightening in the area. Packed stuff up, and found that it took me a little over 2.5 hrs to do the one side. With that said, here are some pictures I took during the install.

Torn boots - one joint is almost seized in the ball. All filled with dirt and debris

Worn and dried out rubber bushings

Empty upper suspension

New updated sway links (Moog parts, not VW)

Upper control arms with new parts

New arms back on the car with rest of suspension

Arms, fresh out of the box

so, tomorrow AM Ill be up working on the other side of the car. Until then, enjoy the pics. Ill post a reply once I get them finished, and get a test drive out of them.

Enjoy,
Steve

·
Registered
567 Posts
Looks like quality parts. Good luck with the rest of the install!!!

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Steve,
With the open ball units exposed like that, I am curious as to how will they wear.

In an airplane, they are not exposed to nearly the amount of water and dirt that a car is. Will that have an affect on the parts?

Just curious,
Mark

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Steve, those look like replaced tie rods ends. I am doing mine now, so I am surfing for some install pics and there doesn't appear to be any. Looks like I have to write this one up... :wink:

·
Banned
9,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks everyone. For those of you with questions, here come all of the answers.

Cav B5 - hope you guys are enjoying the autocross today... We'll have to GTG so you can see how it rides with the new arms.

Dave (starlightb5) - These are the replacement tie rod ends that came along with the recall back a few years ago. I had them replaced about 3 years ago when I finally went in for a cold start issue at the dealer (all before I found CB5). They are in amazingly decent condition. The boots still look brand new, and the rest of the rod is really good. I was going to replace them, but seeing as they still look half decent, Ill leave them alone. Dave, thanks again for hook up, much appreciated.

James (Jdubu81) - This kit is just like a camber kit, but its better. These arms are fully adjustable from -/+ 3 degrees in both directions. You can purchase these arms from www.newdimensions.com and they sell for $550. You can also order the "race version" which is nothing but stainless steel ends for more northern folks. These are the regular "street" kit, and IMO, is still very well put together. The sway bar links were another $68 from ECS. CPP also makes other items for the Passat (b5/b6 chassis, both Audi/VW) such as upper and lower arms for both front, and rear of the car (4motion only for rear) along with adjustable sway bar links tie rod ends, and some other items. Cheeck out www.customperf.com for all of the listings. Unfortunatly, there is no parts available for the FWD Passats in the rear. I did hear that there was a shim kit being released, but I cant remember who makes it for the Passats.

Mark (FastLane) - There is care that is involved with these arms. You have to keep them clean, but from what I could see when I installed them, there were some seals that prevented some dirt from getting imbedded into the balls. Honestly, I dont see this as a huge issue. CPP does offer replacement bearings if they become worn. Just takes time to go in an get them pressed back in, but alot better then having to replace a whole arm, like the VAG parts. You are to keep them lubricated with graphite once a year, but I will probably do it twice a year, ever 6 months. This will help to keep some dirt out, and keep the bearings rolling smoothly.

Jacob (passaturbonium) I am VERY satisfied with these. There is absolutly NO PLAY AT ALL!! I took them for a short drive around the neighborhood right before lunch, and they are great. Before, I would hit a bump, and the car would pull to one side of the other. This is now completly gone. There is some tightening up that I need to do, but I can get that done when I take it in for an alignment. Hopefully that will be Sunday 6/6. For your area, I would suggest getting the "race" version as they have the stainless steel ends. This version sells for $695 at www.awe-tuning.com and at www.newdimensions.com .

For everyone else, I absolutly love this upgrade. Wish that I could have gotten it done sooner as it would have caused less headaches. I havent drive the car more then say 5 miles or so, but just within that amount of time, they handle wonderfully. If anyone has any other questions, post them up here so everyone else can see. As for the sway bar links, there are no clunks, vibrations, or any chatter up front. Finally, I have a smooth ride again.

As for installation time, plan for about 5-6 hours to do both the upper arms, and the sway bar links.

Enjoy,
Steve

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
good stuff steve, looks like sweet parts!! :shock: :shock: :bow: :bow: :thumbup: :thumbup:

·
Banned
9,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
thanks guys... I can not complain at all. I took the car all the way up to 90 tonight driving home. Helped a buddy move some stuff from his apartment and man, was the ride smooth. Over bridges and concreate surfaces, it is slightly more harsh, but nothing unbearable.

All in all, these area great parts. IMO, worth the wait to finally get them. I truely cant complain about the quality. Ill just need to keep the lubed regularly and that should keep the balls happy.

Ill keep this thread updated as anything happens.

Steve

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.