Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys!

Ok question. I know that the aero wipers on most 2002+ passats are only avalable at the dealer. I replaced mine out of pocket cost last year and cost me something like $60.00! I have seen the members in Germany convert there older type wipers to aero kind, but I want to do the oposite. I want to buy the parts needed to convert them to old school wipers so I can go to autozone and get a set of 20.00 whipers :p Where can I get all that info?

Has anyone noticed how crappy the life of the aero wipers are? They lasted me 6 months.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks to crew I found out there was refills. I ordered them from impex (6.00).

Wierd cause when I worked at Audi the techs always told me refills where not avalable and they would replace complete whipers under warranty. My guess is it works out for Audi better that way.

·
Registered
9,154 Posts
quailallstar said:
Thanks to crew I found out there was refills. I ordered them from impex (6.00).

Wierd cause when I worked at Audi the techs always told me refills where not avalable and they would replace complete whipers under warranty. My guess is it works out for Audi better that way.
The Audi techs were right, there isn't a refill for the aero wiper blade. The refill instruction above is a hack ... damn good one tho :wink: .

But stick with the OE refill blade, seems to be much more quiet than the tripledge.

·
Registered
9,741 Posts
Rain-X blades rock. :p

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
I agree... I can't stand the Aero's. The one's when I got the car had to be replaced under warranty at 4000km. After a year the new ones were toast and still continued to chatter. I had to order the TriplEdge refills from Texas as Walmart in Canada doesn't carry them. P.I.T.A$$ Now I am very picky about my car and my windshield and blades are typically spotless so don't say 'maybe you should clean your window dude'!
Once I got the refills I could only replace the driver's side cause the passenger one was one piece. Wasn't impressed with the refill as it chattered and squeaked as well - seemed very dry on glass. Tried RainX, teflon washer fluid, BMW Gummifledge Rubber conditioner...nothing works that great. I spoke to a parts guy and I got the new 2004 blade design which was somewhat improved. I replaced them for $35 each in April and thus far they have been quite good. But I don't relish the thought of replacing them in a years time (or less). Guess I am stuck with them. The only thing is they do look good but if they don't perform they're useless.

There is my 2 cents worth!

·
Registered
5,050 Posts
leadfoot said:
I agree... I can't stand the Aero's. The one's when I got the car had to be replaced under warranty at 4000km. After a year the new ones were toast and still continued to chatter. I had to order the TriplEdge refills from Texas as Walmart in Canada doesn't carry them. P.I.T.A$$ Now I am very picky about my car and my windshield and blades are typically spotless so don't say 'maybe you should clean your window dude'!
Once I got the refills I could only replace the driver's side cause the passenger one was one piece. Wasn't impressed with the refill as it chattered and squeaked as well - seemed very dry on glass. Tried RainX, teflon washer fluid, BMW Gummifledge Rubber conditioner...nothing works that great. I spoke to a parts guy and I got the new 2004 blade design which was somewhat improved. I replaced them for $35 each in April and thus far they have been quite good. But I don't relish the thought of replacing them in a years time (or less). Guess I am stuck with them. The only thing is they do look good but if they don't perform they're useless.

There is my 2 cents worth![/quote

you probably have to adjust the angle of the wiper blade . . . . mine worked perfectly until i put in those crap tripledge refills.

Dave

·
Registered
706 Posts
Bosch works well for me. Maybe not as perfectly clear as the originals were, but easily to find and replace.

·
Registered
9,154 Posts
quailallstar said:
But wait if your saying there is no oe refill then what did I order? lol I'm confused

Nice hack by the way
I meant the P/N:1J0955429A refill blade from OE instead of the Wally World Tripledge.

·
Registered
163 Posts
leadfoot said:
I spoke to a parts guy and I got the new 2004 blade design which was somewhat improved. I replaced them for $35 each in April and thus far they have been quite good.
Leadfoot, do you have a parts number on the new 2004 aero blades? Both left and right side?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
richiekess said:
leadfoot said:
I spoke to a parts guy and I got the new 2004 blade design which was somewhat improved. I replaced them for $35 each in April and thus far they have been quite good.
Leadfoot, do you have a parts number on the new 2004 aero blades? Both left and right side?

Thanks!
1J1955425A
3B1955426

$35.30 (CDN) each.

Not sure which is which but these are the numbers from the invoice. One noteable difference is that there is a small curved groove in the plastic connector on the blade for the metal piece on the arm that is visible while sitting in the car. The old one has a small straight groove on the driver's side and nothing on the passeneger side which to me always looked weird like there was a mistake. You can also look at a 2004 in a showroom to see what I am talking about. Make sure you don't get a dealer trying to sell you old stock cause the new design is different but fit my 2002 perfectly eventhough they're for the 2004's. Good Luck! Let me know how it goes.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.