Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here was my morning.... Go to my car, start it, its running rough. CEL starts blinking. "Not this again $%^#@". ;) I VAG'ed the car and pulled a random misfire cyl4 code. I restarted. Same deal. Opened the hood. removed the #1 and #4 coil packs (couldn't remember which was which) and checked to make sure plugs were tight. They were. Replaced coils. Problem gone. Anyway.....

Already replaced ICM about 20k miles ago (~80k miles). Any other AEB'ers out there have post 100k mile mifires? I'm buying new plugs tonight to see if the problem goes away. Anyone had coil packs go bad on their AEB. I know how to check the ICM if the problem becomes persistant. Right now it has only happened once. Trying to cover my bootie...

-Mark

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
passaturbonium said:
I'm sure you are still on your original coilpacks. Probably going bad...maybe they just needed a little kick. And they are fine now. :lol:
Yeah, still on the original coilpacks. That was my thought too. I "kicked" them and the problem went away temporarily. I'm trying to catch this one before it strands me like the ICM did. :nervous:

-Mark

·
Registered
53 Posts
What does ICM stand for?

I just had my spark module replaced at 50k (on a 1998). That fixed my misfires on cyl. #2.

·
Registered
106 Posts
i had two coils go on my 99 AEB, on @ 75k, and the other just recently at 97k. Both brought up misfire codes, and replacing the packs fixed it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
One thing to try is switching packs. If you get consistent misfires on one cylinder, and switching coil packs does not move the problem to a different cylinder, you have a problem somewhere else.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did swap the #4 and #1 packs. When I originally diagnosed the problem. :) Waiting for the problem to show up on cyl 1. I haven't had the problem since yesterday morning. Started up fine this morning. Maybe they did just need a kick. Anyone know of an inexpensive place to buy coil packs. I was thinking about replacing them just in case. :)

ICM = Ignition Control Module. Probably the "spark controller" that you're talking about.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Ahh, I see. My ICM had intermittent problems before I finally had to replace it. The cost was ludicrous, like most parts on these cars. :(

So far I have replaced (before 50k miles):

Engine underbelly covers (twice!)
Turbo (impeller retaining nut failed)
DV (destroyed by turbo shards)
ICM (random misfires on cyl #2)
ECU (failed right after chipping)
Central Convenience controller
CV boots
Vacuum hoses
Keyless entry remotes
Floor mats (garbage to begin with)
O2 sensor before TWC

Other problems not fixed:

Trunk light usually doesn't illuminate
Rear/left door unlocks but does not lock consistently
CEL for running lean @ idle w/ about 25% compensation :???:

In spite of all this I love the car.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Mark- FWIW, I'm at ~118k miles with my '99 AEB. I'm on my second ICM, but haven't had a lick of trouble from my coilpacks. Our coilpacks seem to hold up pretty well, though the ones I've read of going bad failed rather catastrophically. Hope you find the problem soon. :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
DaddyMatt said:
Mark- FWIW, I'm at ~118k miles with my '99 AEB. I'm on my second ICM, but haven't had a lick of trouble from my coilpacks. Our coilpacks seem to hold up pretty well, though the ones I've read of going bad failed rather catastrophically. Hope you find the problem soon. :thumbup:
I'm wondering if I don't need new plugs, or if the pack just needed reseated...I bought new plugs...We'll see if the problem comes back. BTW, do any of you guys now of a plug that's cooler than the F7LTCR that I can run. I'm wondering if I can get rid of some pre-detonation by running a cooler plug.

-Mark

1 - 10 of 10 Posts