Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Car has been sitting for 3 days. Hopped in to go for a drive and it cranks only. No VAGCOM codes :confused:

Any and all suggestions welcome.

·
Banned
8,975 Posts
My grandfather once told me that a car will run without the right amount of gas, and it will run without the right amount of air, but it won't run without the right amount of spark. Pull your plugs, stick them into their respective coilpacks, have someone crank the engine, and see if each plug sparks when you hold it against the engine block. If any of them don't spark, switch them to another coilpack to see if they do spark. If they do, the original coilpack is bad. If they don't, the ICM on the top of the airbox is bad.

·
PassatWorld Staff
12,264 Posts
OH NOooo... Say it ain't so, Bill!

Temperature sensor? When mine went bad it would crank but wouldn't turn over.
Most likely simple solution.
...Pull your plugs, stick them into their respective coilpacks, have someone crank the engine, and see if each plug sparks when you hold it against the engine block. If any of them don't spark, switch them to another coilpack to see if they do spark. If they do, the original coilpack is bad. If they don't, the ICM on the top of the airbox is bad.
Yeah, with our ECUs and our VAG-COMs we tend to forget all the normal troublshooting tools.
Gotta have fuel.
Gotta have air.
Gotta have spark.
Gotta have spark at the right time.

Does it act like it wants to start, but doesn't? Or does it just spin w/o even acting like it wants to start?

Does it smell like gasoline when it doesn't start? If you are getting fuel but no spark, it'll smell like gas, but you know that. How does VAG-COM prove that your fuel pump and injectors are working, if the car is not running? :confused:

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OH NOooo... Say it ain't so, Bill!

Most likely simple solution.
Yeah, with our ECUs and our VAG-COMs we tend to forget all the normal troublshooting tools.
Gotta have fuel.
Gotta have air.
Gotta have spark.
Gotta have spark at the right time.

Does it act like it wants to start, but doesn't? Or does it just spin w/o even acting like it wants to start?

Does it smell like gasoline when it doesn't start? If you are getting fuel but no spark, it'll smell like gas, but you know that. How does VAG-COM prove that your fuel pump and injectors are working, if the car is not running? :confused:

Vag com output test on each injector. I just got home from work and grabbed some tools. All I had last night was my laptop. :banghead:

·
Founder of the STFA
8,667 Posts
When you check with vagcom for fault codes, scan the instrument cluster too. A bad CTS pops a code there in addition to the engine module.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I did a full autoscan to make sure it wasn't the comfort/security modules too.

It seems I've fixed it. Sort of. Maybe I should say I figured it out. It appears my cool little light weight battery doesn't like the 40 degree nights we are getting here in the New England. Just enough current to crank it over a few times but not enough for spark. I put a charger on it for 20 minutes then went to high current start and it started. I have two more races this year and then it's back to the old Die Hard for the winter!!

·
PassatWorld Staff
12,264 Posts
...It appears my cool little light weight battery doesn't like the 40 degree nights we are getting here in the New England. Just enough current to crank it over a few times but not enough for spark...
OH, NOOooooo....

Yours is a Braille, right? Well, I guess in a couple of weeks, we'll find out how well my Odyssey lightweight battery handles the New England cold. :)

·
Banned
8,975 Posts
OH, NOOooooo....

Yours is a Braille, right? Well, I guess in a couple of weeks, we'll find out how well my Odyssey lightweight battery handles the New England cold. :)
I know regular batteries are heavy, but I refuse to accept that making a 3200 pound car 30 pounds lighter makes a damn bit of difference except as a placebo effect.

·
PassatWorld Staff
12,264 Posts
I find it bizarre that there's enough power to crank the motor but not enough to spark the plugs.

And deus, you can kiss my ass. Bill and I have different priorities than you do. :p

·
Banned
8,975 Posts
I find it bizarre that there's enough power to crank the motor but not enough to spark the plugs.

And deus, you can kiss my ass. Bill and I have different priorities than you do. :p
Gosh. Tempting offer, but I eat enough crap in my corporate job. (grin)

What are your different priorities, Rusty? Trying to build muscle by hand-cranking your engine, or what? All I'm saying is that I don't understand how removing 30 pounds of sprung weight can possibly have any meaningful effect on the handling of the car.

·
PassatWorld Staff
12,264 Posts
...All I'm saying is that I don't understand how removing 30 pounds of sprung weight can possibly have any meaningful effect on the handling of the car.
That's what you are saying now, but that's not what you said (past tense).

One of your very first posts on this forum - without knowing me, or Bill, or anyone else's experience, driving ability, or technical expertise, and without us knowing you - was a blanket statement that the guys who felt a difference with a lightweight battery were full of shit. No, you didn't use those words, but that was your attitude.

But I honestly don't feel like explaining it to you. I've seen enough of your posts to develop an opinion that you are intelligent. So go figure it out yourself - look at your battery, look at its relation to the roll center of the car, and think about it a bit. It's not the weight of the car, it's the weight and location of the battery with respect to the roll center.

Anything that helps/hurts body roll is going to be amplified on my car by the fact that I'm not running any swaybars. I felt and saw an immediate reduction in body roll when I put that battery on. You can disbelieve me if you want, that's your choice. But other people who are familiar with the handling dynamics of their cars are reporting the same thing (scirocco78, 1.8tttturbo, glyphin), and I don't think we're all OD'ing on placebo pills.

And since my priorities are how the car handles and feels as opposed to how big a stereo I can put in, I am willing to risk whatever occasional quirks may pop up with this battery for the constant, everyday increased driving enjoyment that it gives me. Especially when I get it on the track.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

I agree!!!!!! This why I'm still skeptical that I might have an intermittent problem. Started fine again this morning. I touched every electrical connector under the hood so who knows.

·
PassatWorld Staff
12,264 Posts
I agree!!!!!! This why I'm still skeptical that I might have an intermittent problem. Started fine again this morning. I touched every electrical connector under the hood so who knows.
There's a mechanical engineer at work who got all excited when he saw my Odyssey. He builds portable power systems for the Air Force, and he uses Odysseys for them. He rambled on and on, and rattled off spec after spec, about how good these batteries are. And the portable power systems are exposed to extreme heat, cold, and alititude.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Maybe my Braille is piece of poop. I'd rather have a poopy battery than an intermittent electrical problem :nervous:

POOPY.

Sorry.

·
Founder of the STFA
8,667 Posts
So go figure it out yourself - look at your battery, look at its relation to the roll center of the car, and think about it a bit. It's not the weight of the car, it's the weight and location of the battery with respect to the roll center.

Anything that helps/hurts body roll is going to be amplified on my car by the fact that I'm not running any swaybars. I felt and saw an immediate reduction in body roll when I put that battery on.
Exactly. This is the same reason Rusty has his seat all the back and mostly reclined. Plus it looks way cool.:D

I just had to post something to lighten this up. I know nothing about batteries except they have to be replaced every 2-3 years and they usually go bad when it's very hot or very cold.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts