Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a couple of questions re my 2002 variant. The other day I noticed a small amount of a red semi oily substance on my garage floor. My first reaction was transmission fluid and where it collected was about in the tranny area. I checked under the car and couldn't seen any evidence of a leak. Also it has not happen since. Any thoughts? I also have an intermittant passenger window problem. The window will not go up or down using the switch although it seem to activate the motor. It usually works after the car is driven for a while and I can always put the window up and down with the drivers switch. Do you think this might be a door switch failing? At a mere 23000 miles my car is falling apart.

·
Registered
2001 Passat wagon; 2016 Golf Sportwagen
5,503 Posts
In these cars, the coolant is red, as well. The plastic recovery tank, located above the steering column, will spill excess the excess if the fluid is either overfilled or overheated.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
John,
My coolant is not red, actually more clear. It has never been changed and I bought the car new. The coolant has a distinct smell to it that I didn't notice with the other substance.

·
Registered
11,873 Posts
You didnt mention weather you have a auto or manual, but if you have an auto it could be transmission fluid. It is red and oily. Look around the pan and were the bell housing meets the motor.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts