Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
gas odor very noticeable. This started occuring immedieately after I performed the following operations (all simultaneously, so I don't know which is causing it): Changed out both low beam bulbs with Sylvania cool blues (not so blue in color I might add). I then proceeded to disable the daytime driving lights by removing relay 173 as directed here: http://www.clubb5.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=42143
Next, while I had to disasemble some of the air intake piping to change out hte passenger side bulb, I took a peek to see if the air cleaner needed replacement. Oh, and while I was testing out the new bulbs, forgot to turn them off and the battery went dead. As soon as I jump started it, it smelled really flooded. No check lights. Thanks in advance.

By the way, since finding this website a few weeks ago, I have been extremely impressed with the mechanical knowledge the posters here posses about these cars. From wiring diagrams and DIY tutorials with pictures, it is amazing. Thanks to this site, I have learned so much about exhaust systems, turbos, diverter valves, boost gauges, etc. I will be getting an APR chip soon and will throw in a K&N filter. Maybe even a VAG-COM, that way I can diagnose these problems myself. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Pull one of the plugs to see if they are fouled with gas. It might be possible that while the car was trying to crank with the last bit of juice in the battery the ecu's cold start program sent a good dose of fuel into the engine.

HTH

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Exactly, it sounds as rpaller said, it shot more fuel into the engine expecting it to start and burn, but since it did not burn it off, it ended up flooding.

Trickle charge the battery over night, and try it again. Having a good charge and a few hours to sit and let the fuel evaporate off should be good.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
fuel smell

I must say that the car started fine, it didn't take any extra attempts or running the starter continuously. I haven't driven it much since, but the fuel smell is still present after a couple of drives. Thanks for all your input into this.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts