Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just had the car chipped today and i now need to upgrade the standard jelly like suspension to something a bit firmer to control the extra grunt.

I see that a lot of b5 members seem to go for adjustable suspension, i am wondering if i really need to spend so much money on adjustable damping suspension or if just swapping the originals to some uprated fixed rate dampers and springs would be ok, as i am only going to be using the car on roads and will not be going on any racetracks.

Please can i have your views and advice on which i should go for as the fixed rate dampers and springs are like £100 Plus ($180) cheaper than the adjustables and with the saving i can upgrade my brakes.

Thanks

Peter

·
Registered
28,888 Posts
Depends on what is available in your area and what you want. I prefer the Eibach springs for the close to,but slightly firmer than stock ride quality. I went with Koni shocks,1/2 turn on the front and full soft on the rear. You would be fine with the Eibach shocks if you can get them for a good price.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
PZ said:
Depends on what is available in your area and what you want. I prefer the Eibach springs for the close to,but slightly firmer than stock ride quality. I went with Koni shocks,1/2 turn on the front and full soft on the rear. You would be fine with the Eibach shocks if you can get them for a good price.
Yes i can get Eibach shocks but i was looking at 'Spax', dont think you can get them in the US but they are the next step down from 'Koni's', they do just springs, or uprated dampers and springs, or 21 point adjustable dampers and springs and coilovers, just didn't want to waste my money if i was not going to get full use out adjustables.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Like PZ said you have good idea on what you need go for fixed rate combos
You can choose:
Eibach shocks/springs
Koni shocks
H&R springs
VW 1BE springs
Bilstein shocks
Or one of many Germans, that you should be able to find in UK
FK
KW
Wogtland

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nenad said:
Like PZ said you have good idea on what you need go for fixed rate combos
You can choose:
Eibach shocks/springs
Koni shocks
H&R springs
VW 1BE springs
Bilstein shocks
Or one of many Germans, that you should be able to find in UK
FK
KW
Wogtland
Thanks.

So your saying save my money and just go for some upgraded fixed rate dampers and springs as i would not get much use out of the adjustables ?

or

Would it be a safer bet to get the adjustables just so i can customise the ride quality, otherwise i am stuck with what i have got if i go for fixed rate, its all very confusing to me, as its the first car i have owned thats had sh#t suspension as standard.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
To fully use and be 100% satisfied with adjustables you need either-
to know excatly how to set them up
or to try few times (connected with installing and unistalling shocks=lot of money to pay to someone or if you know how to do it then you will do it)
This is in case if coiovers have possibility to fix stiffness. Othervise you will play only with heigth of car.

Most of the "sport" shocks are not that harsh (typicaly up to 30% stiffer than OE,so they claim)

IMO, if you go with Koni and some springs you will be satisfied and not regret it.

·
Registered
28,888 Posts
Don't know about the Spax,but adjustables are probably too much for you. Save your money. If you can find someone who has modded,take a drive in their car. It will let you know what you are getting into.

Be sure to upgrade the shocks (dampers) with the springs.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
282 Posts
I went with the Eibach Pro System and I love it. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.