Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2002 B5.5 Wagon W8
Washington State

Spent the whole night digging for information on the 1BB suspension, not necessarily looking to lift my ride by a drastic difference, so much as to create more comfortability when I take it on light-medium off-road trails/roads. Haven't been able to find the actual part number though.

Should I even bother with getting the 1BB suspension if I plan on getting new wheels and tires, like would the current stock suspension hold up fine if I just got all-terrain/all-weather tires??

Aside from some lighting things I want to do, this is pretty much as far as I want to go with any aftermarket work done to my car. I work a pretty hectic schedule, so if at any point it seems like I have left the post, I promise I haven't. I will check this post as regularly as I can, as well as keep delving into threads. Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
26,073 Posts
There was 1 or 2 lifted 4Mo that I remember. You can go with a nearly 1" taller tire, but that only nets you 1/2" added height. You can keep the stock springs if you like the ride and add a spacer plate under the rubber spring pad. You just need a cut to size plate, the width of the spring pad with a 2.5" center cutout for the shock.

"Nenad" had the HD suspension and 225/50/17" tires but his pics are dead.
Here are more recent threads: https://www.passatworld.com/threads/rally-passault.550650/

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There was 1 or 2 lifted 4Mo that I remember. You can go with a nearly 1" taller tire, but that only nets you 1/2" added height. You can keep the stock springs if you like the ride and add a spacer plate under the rubber spring pad. You just need a cut to size plate, the width of the spring pad with a 2.5" center cutout for the shock.

"Nenad" had the HD suspension and 225/50/17" tires but his pics are dead.
Here are more recent threads: https://www.passatworld.com/threads/rally-passault.550650/
Thanks PZ!! I may just go with new wheels and tires for now, then look more into suspension down the road. I still havent been able to have any luck finding the part number for the 1BB suspension, so I may go to my local dealership for it.

·
Registered
26,073 Posts
I don't know if the dealer would have the info or even try to get it. Years ago we used to have someone on here who worked at a dealership willing to help. Another option is the C5 A6Q wagon or C5 S6 springs. Since it was quite a bit heavier than the Passat and used the same suspension setup, stock C5 A6Q wagon spring should raise the Passat. Another choice is to look at the spacers on AudiZine for using C5 A6Q wagon coilovers on a C5 Allroad. I think they are about 25-30mm high.
I am running H+R Race springs from a C5 A6Q wagon but added adjustable coilover sleeves to my Koni shocks to be able to use any spring and still keep a consistent height.
I have had my wagon on a lot of back country dirt roads. Both with the V6 and the 1.8T. I met my match on the rutted roads in Grand Staircase Escalante, as it had rained the day before and I only had 3" of clearance with the car loaded down. A metal belly pan would have helped, but it was constantly hitting the dried mud pushed up from the 4wd trucks. I've taken it places many people will never see even in a truck.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't know if the dealer would have the info or even try to get it. Years ago we used to have someone on here who worked at a dealership willing to help. Another option is the C5 A6Q wagon or C5 S6 springs. Since it was quite a bit heavier than the Passat and used the same suspension setup, stock C5 A6Q wagon spring should raise the Passat. Another choice is to look at the spacers on AudiZine for using C5 A6Q wagon coilovers on a C5 Allroad. I think they are about 25-30mm high.
I am running H+R Race springs from a C5 A6Q wagon but added adjustable coilover sleeves to my Koni shocks to be able to use any spring and still keep a consistent height.
I have had my wagon on a lot of back country dirt roads. Both with the V6 and the 1.8T. I met my match on the rutted roads in Grand Staircase Escalante, as it had rained the day before and I only had 3" of clearance with the car loaded down. A metal belly pan would have helped, but it was constantly hitting the dried mud pushed up from the 4wd trucks. I've taken it places many people will never see even in a truck.
So if I can find a set of C5 A6Q springs, they should fit right on to my W8 wagon?? How much did that run you, and were the adjustable sleeves necessary?? And your Koni shocks were aftermarket I'm assuming?? Sorry if i'm asking so many questions, you've been the biggest source of information I've been able to find thus far, hahaha.

·
Registered
26,073 Posts
Since I went with H+R Race springs, I did not know how much the drop would end up. I did not want much of a drop (1.25-1.5") and they dropped an A6 nearly 3". For a 1.8T 4Mo, they dropped the car about 1.5" or so. I expect the V6 would add 3/8" more drop. For stock C5 A6Q wagon springs, I would think they would be nearer to a 1" height raise.
You should be able to find used oem springs fairly cheap. AudiZine often has them for various vehicles. I bought my springs and shocks aftermarket to pair with 1BE springs and initially added grooves to the shocks to move the lower spring seat. Then I added the coil over sleeves later when I wanted to swap from 1BE springs to the H+R Race for better handling. I expect stock S6 springs would be pretty good for raising the car and adding better handling. The rear Konis had 3 grooves already, 1 up and 1 down, with about a 3/8" difference in height.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Since I went with H+R Race springs, I did not know how much the drop would end up. I did not want much of a drop (1.25-1.5") and they dropped an A6 nearly 3". For a 1.8T 4Mo, they dropped the car about 1.5" or so. I expect the V6 would add 3/8" more drop. For stock C5 A6Q wagon springs, I would think they would be nearer to a 1" height raise.
You should be able to find used oem springs fairly cheap. AudiZine often has them for various vehicles. I bought my springs and shocks aftermarket to pair with 1BE springs and initially added grooves to the shocks to move the lower spring seat. Then I added the coil over sleeves later when I wanted to swap from 1BE springs to the H+R Race for better handling. I expect stock S6 springs would be pretty good for raising the car and adding better handling. The rear Konis had 3 grooves already, 1 up and 1 down, with about a 3/8" difference in height.
Man, never would have thought of looking for OEM springs from another car to get the (albeit very slight) lift I'm looking for, hahaha. Everything I'm finding on Koni shocks seems to be for a racing feel or racing driven, do you reccomend the Konis because of their versatility?? Or would it be prudent for me to look for a brand that's usually more geared for off-roading??

·
Registered
26,073 Posts
The B5 Passat was built off of the Audi A4 platform but used the A6 rear setup for the 4Mo. Most A4 and A6 mechanical parts swap over with some minor mods. Brakes, front suspension, engines and trans were virtually the same. I run a 6sp manual out of the S4, it's the same as the W8 6sp apart from the final drive ratio and it's about 100lbs lighter than the tip trans.
I chose Koni for a better ride with good handling for my FWD sedan. I had Bilstein previously on my sedan and the ride was a bit too firm. The Konis are adjusable (but require removal to adjust), so I could tune the suspension as I wanted. On the 4Mo, the Bilsteins are rated well, but you would need the HD for non-lowered suspension. Stiffer shocks reduce the chance of bottoming out on dips. My lowered 4Mo bottoms out less that it did stock, both due to the stiffer spring and shocks. The ride is firm, but not harsh. I find it more comfortable than my wife's 05 Golf with the GTI front springs.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The B5 Passat was built off of the Audi A4 platform but used the A6 rear setup for the 4Mo. Most A4 and A6 mechanical parts swap over with some minor mods. Brakes, front suspension, engines and trans were virtually the same. I run a 6sp manual out of the S4, it's the same as the W8 6sp apart from the final drive ratio and it's about 100lbs lighter than the tip trans.
I chose Koni for a better ride with good handling for my FWD sedan. I had Bilstein previously on my sedan and the ride was a bit too firm. The Konis are adjusable (but require removal to adjust), so I could tune the suspension as I wanted. On the 4Mo, the Bilsteins are rated well, but you would need the HD for non-lowered suspension. Stiffer shocks reduce the chance of bottoming out on dips. My lowered 4Mo bottoms out less that it did stock, both due to the stiffer spring and shocks. The ride is firm, but not harsh. I find it more comfortable than my wife's 05 Golf with the GTI front springs.
Okay gotcha. I think at this point it sounds like if I decided to go with new wheels and tires first, I should be fine when I go to get new shocks and springs later down the road then. Unless you would recommend otherwise?

·
Registered
26,073 Posts
It should be fine to start with wheels/tires. You don't have to worry about rubbing since it will not be lowered.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It should be fine to start with wheels/tires. You don't have to worry about rubbing since it will not be lowered.
My thoughts exactly. That is for all the info and advice my man!! I greatly appreciate it!! I may direct message you in the future to pick your brain apart a bit more if that's cool!!

·
Registered
26,073 Posts
Not a problem, I am happy to help when I can.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts