Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi passatians --

I have a question and welcome advice. How long will my 2017 Passat SE last, mileage wise. It has an automatic trans. I am debating whether to trade it in on a 2020, since there are some good deals presently.

130,000 miles on the 2017. Absolutely zero issues or problems. I've just done the regular oil changes, and I did the transmission maintenance. I've balked at the spark plug replacement (car is running well....?). I do the air and cabin filters myself. Did new discs/pads at about 90,000 miles.

Should I expect 200,000 miles?

Any comments would really be appreciated.

BTW, I found that the quality of the tires makes a big difference in the ride. I have really liked the Goodyear assurance tires, theyve been great. I dont know why I am adding this, I guess I am trying to "give back" a little to the forum.

·
Moderator/Administrator
23,988 Posts
Should last a long while as long as you do all the factory recommended maintenance at the correct intervals. Engines rarely just "wear out" any more. It's the little things like timing belts, timing chains, water pumps, tensioners, or oil pumps that fail and ruin the motor.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The dealer wants ~ $500 to replace the spark plugs. I looked this up, and it is a non-trivial job as there is a lot to remove from the engine before one reaches the spark plugs. Do you think its worth it to replace spark plugs. I've never heard the engine mis-fire, and MPG seems same as always. Grateful for your thoughts, thank you!!

·
Moderator/Administrator
23,988 Posts
On a 1.8t? Link to the procedure? My A4 2.0t which is a very close relative takes less than a 1/2hr with basic hand tools.

Should be the same thing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This video does make it look very easy. Still, though I am an engineer by training, I am not a mechanic and sometimes when I have attempted projects like this I encounter some obstacle. Here, it could be a stuck spark plug, or breaking a coil, etc. I think, I would pay $200. VW recommends changing plugs at 60K and I have not changed the plugs in 130k. So, I am thinking, the odds of a stuck spark plug increase, meaning that the odds of me having an inoperable car on my driveway also increase. I am going to shop the job locally and maybe get it for $200.

Next, I am now thinking the reason to replace them is not to improve operation but to prevent a difficult situation in the future, like a broken sparkplug that can't be removed.

Thank you for the video link.

Also: i do not have a torque wrench but I could probably rent one if needed.

·
Moderator/Administrator
23,988 Posts
It’s always recommended to do them on time at the mileage they say. They do wear out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,312 Posts
...So, I am thinking, the odds of a stuck spark plug increase, meaning that the odds of me having an inoperable car on my driveway also increase.

Also: i do not have a torque wrench but I could probably rent one if needed.
Don't over-think this; plugs are torqued to only about 20 lb-ft, and unlikely to stick to the point that they break or strip threads. Any shop you go to is just going to take their tools and whip the things out. Upon replacing with new ones, don't use anti-seize compound, according to NGK (which I always used to do). This is also the time to make sure that oil is not seeping into the plug wells, which would mean a leaking gasket.

If you have a Harbor Freight in the area, they sell torque wrenches sometimes as low as $20. I have a couple, 1/2" and 3/8"- probably would verify their accuracy before using on really critical fasteners, but they seem to do the job for general stuff.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi passatians --

I have a question and welcome advice. How long will my 2017 Passat SE last, mileage wise. It has an automatic trans. I am debating whether to trade it in on a 2020, since there are some good deals presently.

130,000 miles on the 2017. Absolutely zero issues or problems. I've just done the regular oil changes, and I did the transmission maintenance. I've balked at the spark plug replacement (car is running well....?). I do the air and cabin filters myself. Did new discs/pads at about 90,000 miles.

BTW, I found that the quality of the tires makes a big difference in the ride. I have really liked the Goodyear assurance tires, theyve been great. I dont know why I am adding this, I guess I am trying to "give back" a little to the forum.
I owned a '14 TSI SE 1.8T for 4 years.
I accumulated 165,000 mostly trouble-free miles.
I am pretty anal about maintenance.
Transmission fluid changed every 50k, plugs and coils at 100k. Oil changes every 9k. Shocks and struts at 115k.
Issues - large cooling fan died, heater core plugged.
Would still have it, but every VW I have ever owned (8 + an Audi A4) stared to have stupid stuff break after 180k.
Traded in for an almost new Mazda 6 in February.
Good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi passatians --

I too like the Goodyear Assurance tires. Maybe not quite as sporty as the Continentals. Better ride, rated for longer mileage, and cheaper.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Don't over-think this; plugs are torqued to only about 20 lb-ft, and unlikely to stick to the point that they break or strip threads. Any shop you go to is just going to take their tools and whip the things out. Upon replacing with new ones, don't use anti-seize compound, according to NGK (which I always used to do). This is also the time to make sure that oil is not seeping into the plug wells, which would mean a leaking gasket.

If you have a Harbor Freight in the area, they sell torque wrenches sometimes as low as $20. I have a couple, 1/2" and 3/8"- probably would verify their accuracy before using on really critical fasteners, but they seem to do the job for general stuff.
I did it, thank you to all!! Car does seem a bit more sprightly and responsive, I"m glad I did it.

Main problem was the kind of thing that the you-tube videos don't warn you about. After tightening the spark plug, I tried to remove the socket and the extension pulled right off the socket, leaving the socket still attached to the plug. No amount of carefulness would get that socket out, and its too tight for needlenose. What to do. I snipped a latex glove finger and fitted it over the extension. It took a while, but with a lot of careful wiggling I was able to get the socket out. For the other three, I added a strip of duct tape to hold the extension on, and also added a drop of WD40 so the ceramic top of the plug would come off a bit easier. THat seemed to do it, and I had no other problems. $60. Borrowed a torque wrench from the Advanced Auto, no problems, had adapter i needed for the drives were different.

Thank you to all!!!

·
Moderator/Administrator
23,988 Posts
See, now that wasn't so bad, was it? (y)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts