Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

advice / comments / rude opinions on 1999 passat

947 Views 10 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  98greendash
Well I found another passat..... 1999, 1.8T, black 240 xxx kms on the shell. Engine was replaced from a newer audi a4 ( unknown km but apparently lower, was replaced because the other engine sludged up and blew up), turbo was also replaced with a new one. New timing belt as of december 2009 along with new rad and some other things. Car needs a new hood ( its rusted out to the max ) passenger 1/4 has rust on it right near the bumper and it needs a new windsheild.

The car has ABS cell and Airbag cell. Apparently, they have been there since the current owners have owned the car, they just learned to avoid it as they told me lol.

everything else on the car seems to be in ok shape, certain areas will need resprayed like the trunk lid and rear bumper..... they have service records for stuff and have kept up the proper oil changes and used the proper fuel / oil. They are asking 2K for it, I think its a little high....Just wondering what your guys thoughts are on the car from what I have said. :salute:
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Well the ABS module probably needs rebuilt which is like 99 bucks, you might be able to pick up a 1/4 panel and hood for a couple hundred. A 1999 BB's for around 4k (although they aren't selling for that right now even with a lot of nice mods).
I'm hoping the air bag is just the wire under the seat needs to be fixed.
2k is way too high. I have seen cars of that age in perfect condition go for that much.

Just out of curiosity, why did you put "comments/rude opinions" in your title?
The car is a chimera with a swapped engine, half rusted out, and has two known problems, possibly easy fixes but very possibly expensive ones? Don't forget to kick in $300 for a windshield. They want money for it? Why buy trouble?

(That rude enough for you?)
2k is way too high. I have seen cars of that age in perfect condition go for that much.

Just out of curiosity, why did you put "comments/rude opinions" in your title?
haha some ppl have nothing good to say about anything and i was willing to accept what they had to say.

I agree 2K is way, Im gonna offer then 1Kish and see what they say.

The car is a chimera with a swapped engine, half rusted out, and has two known problems, possibly easy fixes but very possibly expensive ones? Don't forget to kick in $300 for a windshield. They want money for it? Why buy trouble?

(That rude enough for you?)
If I can get it cheap enough good winter car. possibly a b day gift to the gf :crazy:

EDIT : deff rude enough lol
If I can get it cheap enough good winter car. possibly a b day gift to the gf :crazy:
Long ago, I bought an Audi Fox out of a junkyard for a couple of hundred dollars, and spent the summer rebuilding it. Gave it to the girlfriend for her birthday (a Thursday) and she totaled it the following Sunday. Beware, life loves little jokes like that.
Long ago, I bought an Audi Fox out of a junkyard for a couple of hundred dollars, and spent the summer rebuilding it. Gave it to the girlfriend for her birthday (a Thursday) and she totaled it the following Sunday. Beware, life loves little jokes like that.
lol :thumbdown , Ill by her a bicycle :thumbup::D
This is so true. I have always left some unimportant things not fixed intentionally since I had several experiences that if you make everything perfect, something bad will happen such as a bad accident or even get stolen.
Start at $2,500 and deduct every repair that needs to be done to it.

Personally, I wouldn't touch it. I could personally show you a 1998 non-Frankenstein model that needs virtually nothing done to it, for just a little bit more money (as could probably 100 other member of this forum). But I'm not selling :D

Too sketchy for such a common car. Find one in better shape, with lower miles, for around $3k.
Having read this a small part of me just died.:cry: I had a chance to buy a 78 2 door Audi Fox for 500 with 80k on it and like a dumb ass i passed on it.:(
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.