Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Mine is a '99 - Open the hood to see two holes on each side above the lights. The holes toward the inside are for up and down. The outside too holes are left and right. Have the car in a place where you can clearly see if they are going up. (I don't know whether you turn clock wise or counter clock wise.)

The mechanism is know to be easy to strip. I would start on the driver's side and help the gears turn gently the first time. If that goes well, you'll have to decide if you want to get access to the passenger side or if you are just going to turn it from the top.

If you can't see the lights move, just turn it a few times and go for a ride. You don't want to be turning the wrong direction...

·
Registered
170 Posts
They are easy to strip if you keep turning and reach the end and keep going. Just turn slowly. Also I noticed that as I adjusted the height (bottom screw) the horizontal beam pattern would move. So if I adjusted them higher, I noticed the horizontal pattern move to the right. So I suggest you adjust the left/right (top screw) at the same time. Also take some tape and tape up the wall. Get the car right up to the wall and tape the wall where peaks are. Then back the car up 25ft and make your adjustments. If the peaks are in the same place on the wall 25ft away as they are when the car was right up to the wall, then you're in business and don't need to adjust horizontal.

By the way I have an '03 with bi-xenons.

·
Registered
11,541 Posts
It's a allen key wrench. I don't know the exact size but the drive area is about 1/4 inch.

The peaks refer to the highest area of light cast by your head lamps.

Turning the inside/bottom 'screws' COUNTER CLOCKWISE raises the beams.

NOTE! If you over do the adjustments, the screw will "derail" off the thread and the whole inner housing will fall off the supports and your headlights will be pointed 3 feet in front of your car and fixing that is a PITA that requires the front bumper to come off. :mad:

Stupid design if you ask me... :roll:

·
Registered
65 Posts
Actually, there is a Phillips head within the Allen head. General guideline is to park your car 10 ft from a wall. The beams should be approximately 2 ft from the ground.

·
Registered
7,568 Posts
I didn't see it mentioned in the other responses, but a small adjustment can make a noticeable difference in the throw of the beams. When I adjusted mine, it only took about a 1/4 to 1/3 of turn to bring them upward enough to satisfy me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts