Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody have a recomendation for getting the adhesive that is left on the inside diameter of my OEM alloy wheels after the tape weight is removed?
Tried mineral spirits and did not touch it.
don't want to have to scrap too hard and run risk of damaging the powder coat.
Thanks!

· Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Both WD40 and Goo Gone work, need to spray on and let it soak then use a plastic scraper to remove what you can, 12 to 24hrs is best.
Then reapply WD40 or Goo Gone and let is soak again for awhile (hour or so) and use a stiff nylon brush to get the rest off.
After this I cleaned inside of wheel with mineral spirits and used some Meguiar's Ultimate Compound with a high speed polisher and buy hand to get them looking like new again. Wash with a dish detergent to cut any remaing grease and rinse thoroughly.
Now the new tires can be mounted and balanced like new rims.
If you wax inside of rims before you put back on car (after they are balanced so weights can stick) that will help keep dirt and brake dust from staying on rims and should rinse off with normal washings of car and rims.
Well worth the effort to keep your rims looking like new and with the open spoke design it gives a nice detailed look.
I might be anal but a nice set of clean rims can make any car look better.

· Registered
2,552 Posts
^^ This. I waxed the insides of mine before they were mounted last year and brake dust and other crap stayed away really well. I'll be removing them again in a month or so to clean and wax again. I don't use Turtle Wax crap either, just a really heavy sealant/protectant I got from Hi-Temp (it's called Terminator) and is the bomb.

· Registered
3,762 Posts
If you wax inside of rims before you put back on car (after they are balanced so weights can stick) that will help keep dirt and brake dust from staying on rims and should rinse off with normal washings of car and rims.
Well worth the effort to keep your rims looking like new and with the open spoke design it gives a nice detailed look.
I might be anal but a nice set of clean rims can make any car look better.

Agreed. Especially if you have really wide wheels, like 7-8 inch and up. Having the inside clean really lets you see the depth of the wheel. That wide aggressive-ness. If they're all black inside you cant really tell.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.