Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question. What is the biggest tire you can put on this rim. I know it comes with 195/65/15. I'm looking to have the tires replaced but I think the stock tires are to skinny. I preffer to go wide. TIA.

P.S.... I have them as spares, but two rims have dead tires.

·
Registered
26,983 Posts
You can go with a 215/60/15 or a 225/50/15. The 215/60 is slightly taller and fills the wheel well nicely. The 225/50 will be a little shorter and will throw the speedometer off more than it already is.

·
Registered
26,983 Posts
If the replacement tire is not the same height (width has nothing to do with it) the speedometer will not match. The Passat's speedometer is usually a few mph on the fast side,so a slightly taller tire will make the speedometer more accurate and a slightly shorter tire will make it worse.

·
Registered
57 Posts
PZ said:
If the replacement tire is not the same height (width has nothing to do with it) the speedometer will not match. The Passat's speedometer is usually a few mph on the fast side,so a slightly taller tire will make the speedometer more accurate and a slightly shorter tire will make it worse.
width does have something to do with it...

to calculate the overall height of a tire: width/25.4 x height% x 2 + rim size

195/25.4 x 65% x 2 +15=24.98(overall height)

within 3% of the factory height is fine, anything above or bellow will throw off gearing and the speedometre.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts