Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No, this is not a baby announcement (although we're expecting our 1st grandchild next month) My son just bought a '00 Variant! This is for his wife to replace her aging Elantra (and haul all the required baby stuff). Anyway it's a V6 with 80K. Do the V6's have the same issues with timing belts as the 1.8T? What is the suggested replacement milage? VW recommends replacement on the 1.8T @ 105K but it is suggested that you do it earlier. Any suggestions? Any idea on cost?

Up to 4 B5's in the family now. Here are the stats:

Me '98 1.8T stick sedan
Wife '00 1.8T Tip Wagon
Son '99 1.8T stick sedan
daughter-in-law '00 V6 Tip Wagon

Daughter in laws mother is a rebel - she has a new beetle!
Few years ago my brother in law bought 2 Jettas at the same time - his & hers.

I think VW should give me a good break on the B6 Variant we're looking at!

·
Registered
2001 Passat wagon; 2016 Golf Sportwagen
5,432 Posts
If it were my car, I would change the timing belt, water pump, and thermostat immediately.

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
V6 wants a timing belt and water pump at around 75K. I believe this is now an official statement by VW.
I love the 6, drives and sounds great and very reliable.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
I have a 99 and my service manual says replace at 105k. There are varying reports on the mileage. I'm not worried because I have the drivetrain warranty until 100k which is nice. If you are not covered in any way, it'd be smart to get it done by 75k which seems to be the revised service interval from what I have read on here.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
if you were the original owner and it was warrantied by the factory till then fine,but your not .so go by the engine sticker under the hood in red letters in english/german that says"75,000 miles " for the timing belt change. i did.also do the waterpump and related items along with everything associated with that repair

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I haven't seen the manual for the V6, but the manual for the 1.8T says 105K. Dealer recommended 105K. That's nuts. If it goes at 103K you're screwed. I had mine on my 1.8T done at about 88K and the dealer tried to talk me out of it. ???

I told him to check with VW to see if he could find out if it had been done first. If it already has he's in luck. Otherwise he should get it done ASAP.

We are seriously thinking of a new B6 VR6 Wagon to replace my wife's '00. Got a quote an an Outback, then on a B6. B6 came in lower comparably equipped (other than FWD on the B6). B6 < $30K loaded - even nav. Will probably sell my '00 myself. So we may have 5 Passats in the family for a while!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts