Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read through this post http://www.clubb5.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=75108&highlight=monsoon and there were several comments about this being a B5, not B5.5 monsoon. I assume the speaker level connections are the same for B5 and B5.5, but I thought I'd ask just in case.

Second question, can I get my remote lead turn on signal from the monsoon amp?

Third, where is a good place to ground my amp?

Thanks.

·
Registered
369 Posts
well, yes the speaker level connections should be the same, as far as grounding goes, just pop a hole in sheet metal near the amp and scrape back teh paint around the hole where you attach the ground cable, usually the shorter the better. I had a copy of the monsoon amp wiring pin out I can possibly scan and send you if I can find it. :oops:

:D I guess you are finally putting in a box for yourself, heh. lmk when you get another done that isnt spoken for, I'm intrested!

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the feedback. I think I have it all figured out except for the remote turn on. I kept reading about a grey wire in the CD changer harness. I don't have one. I have red, orange, yellow, green, blue, purple, brown, white, and black. Is it one of those?

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, for future reference in case anyone else looks for this info, the yellow wire in the CD changer harness can be used as a remote turn on lead. This is how I wired mine and it works like a champ.

·
Registered
5,050 Posts
Hmmm you're using speaker level leads? Ehhhhhhh have you thought about purchasing the blaupunkt adapter that allows you to use the aux output on your double din?

Dave

·
Registered
5,050 Posts
You might need a different one for the double din . . . .i think there is a good writeup with part #s on the audio forum on the vortex . . . . btw i posted pics of the box in the car in GD . . . . need to figure out a way to resize those pics tho.

Dave

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I use photobucket for hosting, it's free with lots of good features. I'll check out the 'tex for the other adaptor. Mine sounds fine now, am I really going to notice a difference in sound from RCA to line level for bass?

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Sorry I'm a bit late in getting back to you. I see you took care of this.

Yes, the yellow wire is the remote turn-on lead for the CD changer (that was my original post).

Anyways, looks like you have it under control... PM me if you have any more stereo questions.

Jimmy :)

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Your posts were the only ones that talked about the yellow wire, I was just looking for a little confirmation. I ended up just trusting your advice and it worked. Any idea which models have the grey wire and which ones have the yellow?

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Did you use speaker level input, or RCA's?
It is my opinion that RCA's aren't necessarily any better...
As a matter of fact, if you use the speaker level input, you lessen the chance of RF noise through the amp.

Jimmy :)

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I used an LOC. I figured since I already had all the parts, it's an easier install, and it's just for bass, I won't bother trying to get a pure RCA feed. It sounds fine for me, I'm not going to compete so it will do.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.