Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have searched around on these forums looking for an answer to my problem without much luck. I'd like to add satellite radio to my existing Monsoon sound system in my '03 Passat. However, I really dislike the idea of attaching a stand alone unit to my dash (with wires coming out of the side, etc.). So replacing the head unit with a satellite ready head unit seems like the obvious answer to my problem.

However, I talked with some guys from Cartoys last week, and they said that I would have to bypass the Monsoon amp an replace all my speakers if I wanted to install an aftermarket head unit. They said I had to do this because the aftermarket head units are 4 ohms and the factory speakers are 2 ohms. Apparently, this could potentially cause damage to the speakers, the head unit, or both.

1. Are the guys at Cartoys pulling a fast on one me, or do I really have to replace the entire sound system in order to replace the head unit.
2. If the guys are Cartoys are telling me the truth, is there any satellite ready oem head unit that would work with the factory Monsoon sound system?

I'm really happy with the sound of the factory system. I just would really like to have oem looking satellite radio without spending an arm and a leg.

Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
they're not pulling a fast one, they're just stupid. and if you like the Monsoon now wait until you hear it with a decent signal going to it.

·
Moderator/Administrator
25,285 Posts
If they told you that, shop somewhere else. You can put anything you want in there. It will hook up to the stock wiring as if you didn't have an amp in the first place.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Really appreciate all your help. If you think the guys at Cartoys were bad, you should have heard the idiot I talked to at Best Buy. He flat out told me that none of the head units they carry are satellite ready! If I were the manager of that store, I would be absolutely furious.

·
Moderator/Administrator
25,285 Posts
He may have meant you have to buy the satellite tuner to go with it. none come with it.....OTOH, he may just be stupid or filling in for that dept. Which store was it? I've got manager connections. BB isn't bad for average everyday deck/amp/speaker installs IMO, but I'm a little biased.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts