Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I just wanted to run an idea of adding Foglights and HIDs.
I am thinking I can move the current low beams to the Fogs as both are 55W.. I know the bulb is different but power consumption is the same so I will not not get any Bulb out error. They will work like normal DTRL but in the fog location. When I turn the switch to ON position they will be still on and the parking lights turn on. I will then use a trigger from the parking light to fire up the HIDs and they will come on only in the ON position. The switch in my car has only two positions.. ON or OFF. This way I need no VAG modifications and I am not keen on spending the $$ to change the switch and wiring up the Convenience module etc. Do you think this will work?? Any issues seen??? Yup if I use High beam then my low beam will be ON at the same time .. I realize that.. Anything else??

·
Registered
707 Posts
Hi! I just wanted to run an idea of adding Foglights and HIDs.
I am thinking I can move the current low beams to the Fogs as both are 55W.. I know the bulb is different but power consumption is the same so I will not not get any Bulb out error. They will work like normal DTRL but in the fog location. When I turn the switch to ON position they will be still on and the parking lights turn on. I will then use a trigger from the parking light to fire up the HIDs and they will come on only in the ON position. The switch in my car has only two positions.. ON or OFF. This way I need no VAG modifications and I am not keen on spending the $$ to change the switch and wiring up the Convenience module etc. Do you think this will work?? Any issues seen??? Yup if I use High beam then my low beam will be ON at the same time .. I realize that.. Anything else??
your rather do all tht work instead of buying a new switch for like 40$ and just finding someone in ur area with a vagcom??? VAG FINDER

what ur doing is going to basically be a MAJOR cob job :thumbdown:

Do u have OEM HID headlights right now?
Do u have OEM fog lights right now?

Also you high and low beam are on at the same time when u turn ur highs on

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the feedback... I will do it the right way!! Hopefully I should not get any Bulb out errors.. Any recommendations to avoid those?? I will get it VAGed as told in the forums here..

·
Registered
707 Posts
If u want the most OEM looking setup witout having to tap into the ECU and worry about a BOW w/ HIDs in the fogs get ECS tunings fog light kit and a new headlight switch ECS's kit is relayed based so it will not effect ur ECU at all.

and for the Low beams as long as u make the proper vag changes you wont get a BOW

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
707 Posts
for a light switch you could get this one
VW PASSAT B6 EOS EURO SWITCH W/ AUTO FEATURE - SILVER | eBay

more options, and if u wanted to add a light sensor u could have auto headlights and its cheaper then ECS

The ECS fog kits will be tapped into the OEM switch (the one you'll be adding)

to use the relay you'll have a constant 12v coming into the relay, then a switched 12v going to power your fogs there is a trigger wire (this is the wire tht goes to the OEM light switch youll be adding) tht will control the switch in the relay when the trigger wire is powered the switch in the relay will allow power to go through when the trigger wire isn't powered the relay wont allow power to the fogs

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks again Bill!!
I was thinking of using VAG to turn off my existing Low beam as DTRL and then add Fogs and make those DTRL and use the existing ON/Off Switch for my Headlights which I would convert to HIDs. This way I do not need a switch replacement at all.. just tap into the ignition wire for a trigger as shown in the ECS install as per PDF above.. I do have enough electrical experience (Engineering Degree and working on my C4 & C5 Audi A6)
What do you think on this install??

·
Registered
707 Posts
tht is the same route ill be taking when my fog kit arrives. ill use a switch in the ashtray location and just leave it on all the time tap an ignition wire for the relay trigger and have the fogs as DRLs. so no buying a OEM switch or the pricy OEM wiring.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Awesome...!! I will put in no switch just direct connection from the switched in the fuse box. I will leave the fuse at a prominent place under the hood. I just bought my fog lights
eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices
Not a bad price for a NEW Genuine Part. I also bought a harness for 9006
eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

All I need is now the Fog Grilles.. I bid on some on ebay.. still waiting

·
Registered
707 Posts
Good stuff!

Heres a pic of a wireup i did for some LED DRLs ive been using.

Tap into tht 10a fuse and us tht as ur switch. Tht fuse only has power when the engine is running. So if u had your keys in the ignition but engine is off the fuse isn't powered. once u start the engine up the fuse will be powered

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sounds Great! Actually.. I had that picture bookmarked for reference already :) and was going to use it once the stuff got here..
After reading so much on the forums about HID.. I am settling for DDM tuning Slim Ballasts 35W no extra harness... However I am torn to select between 4300K or 5000K. I want the most light.. this is my Sister in law's car who is a new driver. I recently moved from a 2001 Audi A6 2.7T to a 2010 BMW 535i xdrive. I know 4300K is OEM.. but not sure if the DDM stuff is such high quality that their 4300K is actually 4300K... and not something lower... then I could go with 5000K and then that would have the more white bright light as it might be a bit lower than 5000K.. Hence the dilemma... Your thoughts??

·
Registered
707 Posts
Im running 6K but not DDMs. I have 5 friends running 6k DDMs and there blue-ish esp at a distance. I think 5K will be fine. I like to have tht little bit of a blue tint i think it looks high end. (not purple blue thts too JDM lol)

Ill be going 3k in my fogs and leave the 6k in my lows for now. If visibility with tht setup is poor ill get some 5k lows.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts