Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im interested in adding a subwoofer and amp to my stock monsoon deck. i went to both best buy and circuit city for info, both of which told me 2 completely different things. my question is.....is it possible to add an amp and subwoofer to my stock deck, and if so, how. They said somethign about the amp in the trunk, splicing off the wires there????? help please

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
Yes, your equipment will work fine. They need to tap into the stock amp for an audio signal. Other than that it's a straight forward install. Shouldn't be more than $75 plus parts unless you need a box for the subs.

Paul :thumbup:

·
Registered
353 Posts
Paul, I should have stated " It depends on how loud you want it". I had the stock headunit with 1 Jl audio 8w6 and it was too loud with the stock splits. I like sq, and that was too much bass for me. :D

-CHRIS

·
Registered
307 Posts
VDUBRACER187 said:
its not worth all the work.....just get an aftermarket hu
I really disagree... I got the Monsoon system in my B5.5 and was very disappointed. After some research, I ended up adding an Alpine mono 200w amp powering only a 10" alpine sub (in standalone cabinet in trunk) with no power diverted to the deck or original speakers. With some tuning of the amp, I was really happy with the sound. The added power and punch not only makes up for the lack of bass in the Monsoon system, but accentuates the one good thing about that system, the overall balance in the car.

Yeah, the next step is definitely to start upgrading the components, but I think this was the best "bang for the buck" as far as quickly getting the system to sound respectable.

·
Registered
39 Posts
my advice to you would be to replace the headunit with an aftermarket radio which accepts RCAs. don't be misled by tech's at circuit city and best buy who will try to tell you that replacing your monsoon radio with an aftermarket radio is a complex install which requires the whole car be rewired. you don't need to splice into the amp or rewire any of the speakers to add an aftermarket h/u. it's a very simple install. just don't use the blue and blue/white wire in the harness. an aftermarket h/u works nicely with the stock monsoon set-up and will power up the stock amp and speakers. they will actually sound better with a quality h/u such as a kenwood. furthermore, you can adjust the settings and it will sound great.

now- once that's done you can connect the RCAs and run an aftermarket amp dedicated only to your sub and you'll have a bangin' system.

if you decide to keep the stock headunit, you can purchase line converters from radio shack, or you can purchase an amp with built in line converters. then you'll have to find the speaker connections to tap into. since all of the B5s speakers are in the doors, it's easier to trace them at the amp in the trunk. keep in mind that you will loose a significant amount of power that through the line converters and the signal will not be as strong as if you were running RCAs.

hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Will a bigger amp simply replace the stock Monsoon amp, or just feed off of it?

And will a more powerful amp (like 400 watts compared to the Monsoon's 200) also improve the mid and treble? I all over found the bass to be weak, but with so much bass anyway, wouldn't the mid an treble get drowned out?

And can you still control the amount of bass coming through the sub with the HU 'Bass' knob?

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
I<3myW8 said:
Will a bigger amp simply replace the stock Monsoon amp, or just feed off of it?
It would replace it but it would also have to have the necessary crossovers and enough channels. Only the a/d/s/ P860 would have the required 8 channels and a crossover flexible enough to work. You could also go with 2 4-channels amps like a PPI PCX-480 or PCX-440 the new Rockford Power series 4-channels amps will work so will Alpine V12s and Kicker amps.

And will a more powerful amp (like 400 watts compared to the Monsoon's 200) also improve the mid and treble? I all over found the bass to be weak, but with so much bass anyway, wouldn't the mid an treble get drowned out?
It will improve things but I doubt it'll make a gargantuan difference.

And can you still control the amount of bass coming through the sub with the HU 'Bass' knob?
The bass control on the HU is no different than the bass control on any other HU. It's not a sub level control. If you added a real sub and an amp for it most afermarket HUs have a sub level control on top of the bass control.

Paul :thumbup:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.