Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an early model 2001 Passat 2.8L V6 ATQ Engine just reached 200K miles. I want to change over to full synthetic mobil 1 high mileage 10W-40. It is due for an oil change soon (500 miles), but before hand I wanted to clean up the engine a bit. I drained the oil a qt and replaced the oil filter with a clean one. I added a qt of Marvels Mystery oil and topped it off with regular conventional oil that i use. After a few trips I noticed a slight lifter tick :banghead: (not bad) at cold start up. After the engine warms up a bit it's gone. Should I dump this oil before things get worse or is it ok to continue running with this additive? I have another 500 miles to go before the oil change is due. I just thought it would be better to clean the engine a before changing over to synthetic

·
I had a steering knuckle in my shed. Really!
4,159 Posts
Not sure about MMO, but with Sea Foam, I use just 1/3 of the can (quart, I believe) for less than 100 miles.

I do not think MMO and Sea Foam are terribly different, and neither one makes a good motor oil. I would drain that out and put in the synth with a fresh oil filter toot-sweet.

·
Registered
853 Posts
MMO is the equivalent of a straight weight 5W oil. If you were using 5W-30 oil perhaps you are now down to a combined 5W-25. Since you aren't experiencing problems once the engine is up to normal operating temperature what's the problem? MMO is highly regarded by some on BITOG. Sea Foam not so much.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Marvel mystery oil is supposed to be used just before your oil change. You want to put it in and run it at idle for a half hour or at low speed just before your oil change. This gets out the gunk. Then put in fresh oil. Marvel mystery oil is a good additive to put 2 oz per 10 gallons in the gas tank to lubricate the fuel system and upper cylinders, so it Lucas.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Marvel mystery oil is supposed to be used just before your oil change. You want to put it in and run it at idle for a half hour or at low speed just before your oil change. This gets out the gunk. Then put in fresh oil. Marvel mystery oil is a good additive to put 2 oz per 10 gallons in the gas tank to lubricate the fuel system and upper cylinders, so it Lucas.
The amount recommended by MMO for the gas is 4 oz per 10 gallons of gas. Some have found that using more has a negative effect on gas mileage.

Typically if MMO is used in the oil for cleaning purposes it is added 1,000 - 3,000 miles before the oil is to be changed. MMO is not recommended for long oil change intervals. What constitutes a long oil change interval they won't say. From the feedback given on the MMO forum (Ask The Mechanics) it would appear that 3,000 - 5,000 miles is about the limit.

MMO is a very mild cleaner, don't expect it to do much in just a half hour.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
At 200K miles why in the world would you go to synthetic oil?
If you really have to change to synthetic you should use a blended synthetic for a couple of changes before going to a full synthetic.
Odds are if you don't have any oil leaks from the motor now, you will after a synthetic change out.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
I have never personally used MMO, but I know of people that have with good results. Another option if you just want to clean the engine, I would just use Mobil 1 in whatever grade is recommended for your car and possibly change it at 2k, then 3k miles (new filter each time), then once you've done those 2 early OCIs, just go to 5k OCIs unless you do a lot of short trips. M1 is a good synthetic oil, and seems to do a really good job of cleaning. MMO I think is inexpensive, so even if you do go that route, you have nothing to lose. As far as leaks, it is a real possibility at that mileage; why do you want to switch to syn now?

·
Registered
2001 Passat wagon; 2016 Golf Sportwagen
5,588 Posts
The V6 does not require synthetic, as long as you use a top-quality dino oil and change it frequently. The previous owner and I have always used 10W-30 dino in my Audi, admittedly with the simpler 12-valve (no cam chain tensioners) head.

As for MMO, I thought it was essentially ATF. I do not think I would want to try it in a 1.8T.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.