Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Doesn't seem to matter how much washer fluid I add to the washer bottle, the fluid still seems to freeze in the nozzles in weather below freezing. It takes a while to thaw before I can wash the windshield.

Now I hear the later B5.5s have this fixed at last with a washer heating system :) . Has anyone managed to add this to the B5? Mine is a right hand drive 98 TDI auto wagon (187,000 miles and counting). I can't find any posts from anyone who has fitted the heating system. I have heated mirrors but not seats if this helps.

Thanks

Julian

·
Registered
776 Posts
Yep, our 2000 has them too (I know because I need to replace one of the nozzles - it was flopping around loose when I was looking at it last night and it had a hose and a wire that plugged into it.

·
Registered
7,591 Posts
sterling said:
Doesn't seem to matter how much washer fluid I add to the washer bottle, the fluid still seems to freeze in the nozzles in weather below freezing. It takes a while to thaw before I can wash the windshield.

Now I hear the later B5.5s have this fixed at last with a washer heating system :) . Has anyone managed to add this to the B5? Mine is a right hand drive 98 TDI auto wagon (187,000 miles and counting). I can't find any posts from anyone who has fitted the heating system. I have heated mirrors but not seats if this helps.

Thanks

Julian
Hey, Julian,
Exactly how cold does it get in Oxford? I can't believe that your fluid is freezing. The generic washer fluid they sell here in the States is usually marked as good to -20 degrees F (that's almost -30 C), but in reality I've seen it start to crystalize somewhere just south of 0.

What's the temperature rating on the stuff they sell in the UK? Does it come pre-mixed or is it the stuff you have to dilute and mix yourself? Just curious!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.