Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
oh yeah - just avoid the automatics. Honda/Acura just announced a recall of ALL 5 speed automatics form the past two years, including the 04's, installed in Odysseys, Pilots, and Acuras.

·
Registered
544 Posts
TDIBUGMAN said:
oh yeah - just avoid the automatics. Honda/Acura just announced a recall of ALL 5 speed automatics form the past two years, including the 04's, installed in Odysseys, Pilots, and Acuras.
Actually, the recall did not affect any Acura vehicles aside from the 2001/2002 MDX.

Quote from the press release:

The recall involves approximately 600,000 light trucks manufactured in the U.S. and Canada. Affected models include certain model year 2002, 2003 and early 2004 Honda Odyssey minivans; 2003 and early 2004 Honda Pilots; and 2001 and 2002 Acura MDX sport-utility vehicles.

As for the TL, It's a great car w/ a wonderful interior, sound system, bluetooth, very good performance, etc. It does exhibit torque steer in spirited driving, but much less than the Nissan Maxima IMO.

Here's hoping Acura releases a sport version 1-2 years down the road w/ 300-310hp and AWD! :) :beer:

·
Registered
580 Posts
I like the way they look, I hear they handle great for a FWD car, and isn't the engine a higher HP version of the accords V-6 ? Sounds like a pretty sweet car to me :thumbup: of course I would love to drive one and see how it rides :D

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
The styling tries way too hard to be edgy.
Better than an Altima, but it's the European Accord.
When's Honda going to offer AWD?

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Not really interested myself, considering the competition has a lot more interesting cars out there, such as the Legacy GT, G35, Dodge Magnum, etc. Yeah, it got a lot of power, but it doesn't mean much if the car isn't that quick, or at least not as quick as the competition. Past posts have mentioned the car feeling sluggish in accel, and cornering. You get the impression it's just a luxo-boat w/ edgy styling

Eh? I thought the TSX was the Japanese/Euro Accord. Actually I like the TSX a lot more than the TL, bieng that's generally a lot more agile and balanced car. The design also isn't as flashy imo.

As for tuning potential, there may be technical potential there, but I doubt most vendors will be developing parts for it, considering most of the attention is focused on the RSX Type-S, K20 block, or the K-series motors in general. I'm not sure, but I don't think the TL uses a K-series motor. I don't think most ppl would want to race a TL anyhow, so aftermarket won't be grt performance wise. You may see some fancy bodykits, and coilovers, but that's prob it.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Nice car, great features, reasonably priced. My brother has one and loves. You can take a look at owner's experiences, opinions and pics on www.acura-tl.com

·
Registered
544 Posts
Der Meister said:
The styling tries way too hard to be edgy.
Better than an Altima, but it's the European Accord.
When's Honda going to offer AWD?
Actually, the TSX is a European Accord w/ more HP and a different dash. The TL is built off of the global midsize platform, but is NOT a rebadged Euro Accord. In fact, it is the only Acura product I know of that was designed solely for the North American market and isn't rebadged as a Honda somewhere else. (If I recall correctly the previous TL was sold as a Honda Inspire elsewhere in the world, but the new Inspire is essentially a U.S. Accord w/ more features and a different grill).

And in case you haven't heard, the new RL (out this fall) will have AWD standard. Rumors are rampant that Acura will build a turbocharged version of the TSX w/ AWD and possibly also a higher horsepower (i.e. sportier) version of the TL w/ AWD.

·
Registered
6,241 Posts
I haven't had the luxury of driving one yet but from the looks both outside and in I can't deny its a hard car not to like.

As for the New RL thats a different story although I didn't get the chance to sit inside it at the NY Car Show. I have to say they did a great job on the designing part of it.

·
Registered
435 Posts

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
D.Passat00 said:
legacy is nice! the 6 cylinder is supposed to be around 250hp. i'd rather have a G35 though. can't go wrong with 280 HP 8)
Actually for now, only the new Outback will recieve the updatd 3.0 H6 engine, it will make 250hp @6,600 219lb/ft @ 4,200 -vs- the 212hp 217lb/ft it previously made. Variable valve timing along with increased breathing accounts for the increas in horsepower.

Though don't be dissapointed, the Legacy will be offered with a 2.5L Turbo charged H4 cylinder, that will make 250hp @6,000 and 250lb/ft @ 3,600.

And will be good for a 5.5 second 0-60 and 13.9-14.1 1/4 mile.

-Nick

·
Registered
544 Posts
SDPassatT wrote:
Also, for such a performance-marketed car, and 270 hp/238 lb-ft, the manual only does 0-60 in 6.75 seconds, which is about as fast as an APR chipped 1.8T.

actually it does 0-60 in 6.3 seconds with the 5 speed auto...

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/sedan/112_0405_sedans/index.html

^good comparison article.

-Nick

Yeah, 6.75 seconds 0-60?!? That doesn't sound right at all. The highest 0-60 time I have seen for a 6-speed manual TL is 5.9 seconds (the best I have seen was a manual A-Spec TL which did 0-60 in 5.6 seconds due to more aggressive tires and lower/firmer suspension).

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
TDIBUGMAN said:
Well, even as a new 9-3 owner, I still like the TL. Not LOVE, like the 9-3, but like. For whatever reason, the advertised hp just doesn't feel like it has almost 100 more than my Saab. And while solid, still doesn't have the "feel" of a European car (insert your generic GM comment here).
Oh yeah, thanks for all of the 9-3 compliments :D
TDI,

understand I think the 9-3 is a great car, but the TL with a manual posted a 5.9 sec 0-60, the 9-3 Linear posted a 7.9 0-60. For 95 more hp I think a 2 second adavatage 0-60 is pretty decent.

And speaking of "generic GM" the 9-3 has its share of that too. Using the GM Epilson platform (that the new Chevy Malibu also rides on), and uses the GM corporate 2.0L block.

-Nick

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
TDIBUGMAN said:
Also I read through the press release, and like jwaters said, the TL is not affected

But as for avoiding the transmissions? Out of 600,000 of them, there have been 10 cases.

"Honda will begin notifying owners about the defect at the end of April. Honda dealers will inspect gears for free and replace the transmission if necessary."

So if somthing is wrong, atleats there fixing it for free.....unlike some other car companies.

upshot said:
I love my 99 2.8 A4 QMS... It has the same quirks as the passat but has a solid ride. Got it a year ago at 60k did the timing belt and now I'm replaceing all the control arms
^perfect example of somthing else that should of been a recall, but wasn't...

-Nick

21 - 40 of 44 Posts