Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
There's been a lot of discussion round here. General consensus: :thumbup:

·
Confused
3,564 Posts
yeah...i'm actually having a hard time not liking it too....i get realy picky, like the seats should not be perforated, etc..... i kinda like the new rl too.....

·
Banned
3,172 Posts
They're pretty nice, I like them except for the front, but I wouldn't get one b/c like I said, the front is ugly, and everyone else is getting them too. Around here anyway. But that's just me. 8)

Also, for such a performance-marketed car, and 270 hp/238 lb-ft, the manual only does 0-60 in 6.75 seconds, which is about as fast as an APR chipped 1.8T.

·
Registered
10,541 Posts
I like them. Bear in mind the fact that dyno numbers indicate engine shut off at 6000-6300 rpms and a chip will probably yield more hp than a apr chipped 1.8t. Every article I've read says that the engine is underrated. I'm wholly impressed by the TL and would highly consider buying one if I was in the market now.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
i have mixed feelings about it, i would have to have one for a few weeks to myself just to see how it works in all different conditions

·
6th Grade
14,918 Posts
I'd rather have a new Saab than the Acura.

Saw one in person the other day, it is now one of my favorite current sedans, at least in the looks department.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts

·
Banned
3,172 Posts
Sharky said:

Saw one in person the other day, it is now one of my favorite current sedans, at least in the looks department.
I'm with Sharky on this one. Check out the 9-3 Arc or Aero for that price. All those Saabs have those very-chippable turbo motors, too. 8)

One thing I don't like about the Saabs though.....the thing that honestly holds me back from wanting one.....is the green-lighted interior. :puke: If they would change that to white or red, that would be lovely. I might just pick one up and do that myself come to think of it. :lol:

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
I liked the way it drove, and I love the touch screen dvd/climate/radio console.

·
Registered
10,541 Posts
SDPassatT said:
Sharky said:

I'm with Sharky on this one. Check out the 9-3 Arc or Aero for that price. All those Saabs have those very-chippable turbo motors, too. 8)

One thing I don't like about the Saabs though.....the thing that honestly holds me back from wanting one.....is the green-lighted interior. :puke: If they would change that to white or red, that would be lovely. I might just pick one up and do that myself come to think of it. :lol:
My bro and sis inlaw have a 9-3 Linear. I like the car. The engine seems quick and the turbo seems to spool up quickly. The automatic/man trans is like stirring a slurpy though (my bro-in laws words) and the factory suspension floats big time. He also says it doesn't generate good feedback through the wheel and seems almost detached from the act of turning. I haven't driven it myself. I think they are simply the best looking car on the market in that price range though. It would be a tough call.. 9-3 or TL... hmmmm

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
It's an awesome car. My dad just bought one and I'm totally jealous.

Yes, the front wheels couldn't handle all that power well. But dollar for dollar, you can't get a nicer finished, designed, well made, and feature-packed car. Excellent quality and reliability, with great customer service -- it's an incredible all-around car to own.

I'll take mine fully equipped with nav and the sports package in all black and debadged -- now that's bad ass!!! :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Well, even as a new 9-3 owner, I still like the TL. Not LOVE, like the 9-3, but like. For whatever reason, the advertised hp just doesn't feel like it has almost 100 more than my Saab. And while solid, still doesn't have the "feel" of a European car (insert your generic GM comment here).
Oh yeah, thanks for all of the 9-3 compliments :D

·
Registered
9,741 Posts
Spirare said:
I like them. Bear in mind the fact that dyno numbers indicate engine shut off at 6000-6300 rpms and a chip will probably yield more hp than a apr chipped 1.8t. Every article I've read says that the engine is underrated. I'm wholly impressed by the TL and would highly consider buying one if I was in the market now.
Very true. The torque line is very similar, if not better than that of the current NSX. :weirdo: And that's even with the old VTEC system, only adjusting the timing on the intake cam, iirc. Someone find an i-VTEC head (no idea what series the motor is), and all variable lift/duration for both intake and exhaust and you've got a ton of potential for tuning!

·
Registered
428 Posts
aowhaus said:
It's an awesome car... But dollar for dollar, you can't get a nicer finished, designed, well made, and feature-packed car. Excellent quality and reliability, with great customer service -- it's an incredible all-around car to own.

I'll take mine fully equipped with nav and the sports package in all black and debadged -- now that's bad ass!!! :thumbup:
What aowhaus said. I found previous generation TL's and the current TSX to be rather uninspiring vehicles, but the new TL is just outstanding. If you're planning to test drive one, bring a DVD-Audio disc with you to evaluate the ELS audio system (or inquire if the dealership has a sample disc). :thumbup:

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
About this Discussion
43 Replies
27 Participants
D.Passat00
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing