Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Banned
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay the original run that we used as samples has sold out (had no idea it would go that quick) so I am looking to see if anyone else is interested in one of these. Unfortunately, I cannot do them for the same price as the original run was done primarily for samples so I could do them at cost. GB price for new ones going forward would be $17 shipped which is the wholesale price + shipping costs.

If interested, send me an email at [email protected]

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
Sorry to have bothered you with this. I should have deleted this long ago, but I haven't been around.

My appologies and Good luck.

·
Registered
5,050 Posts
Chas said:
Gee I wonder where you got that idea from? :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

It couldn't have been from my idea could it?

But hey, that's fine, I'm sure that won't last nearly as long as the my aluminum version. And if you want to jack your car up on some wobbly poly pad and hope it doesn't cause a problem, then that's your choice. I like the solid function of aluminum. Much like the factory design crank jack. No rubber there... :roll: :roll:
Errrrrr purems has had a jack pad made by protech with the same design long before you released your alum version. Also, urethane is pretty hard, not wobbly as you might think. Either way, i highly doubt that he stole the idea from you as its been around for a long long time (i.e. JW whitney's trolley block pad).

Dave

·
Registered
5,050 Posts
Chas said:
The idea of the jack pad, yes has been around for some time. But his design is very close to mine. But there is one difference that I see between his and mine that makes me wonder if he really did do any serious R&D. And it's an important one at that. Mine is specifically designed for the contours of the undercarage of our Passats.

And don't put words into my mouth.
...i highly doubt that he stole the idea from you...
I never said he stole anything. I'm just a bit suprised by this is all.

Also, compaired to aluminum, yes, his jack pad is wobbly.

Truely, I don't care. I hope he sells loads of them. Like I said, I was just suprised by this and thought I needed to say something. :???:
I'm sorry but you highly implied that he took the idea from you.

His looks more like the pure MS one than yours . . .

most of all, I would think that someone who was criticized in the beginning for coming up with a bar so close in design to the andybar wouldn't be pointing fingers towards a fellow CB5 designer / manufacturer :roll: :roll:

·
Banned
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Alright, I'll chime in here since you're committed to going forward with this Chas. My jack pad does have some similarities to yours but also has some similarities to the Protech one and the JC Whitney one as well. There is good reason for this, there are only so many designs available that will work.

Regarding polyurethane - in comparison to aluminum, yes, its softer but to be clear, in no way could the saddle we make be considered wobbly. Polyurethanes can run the range from 20 Shore A to 75 Shore D in hardness - or in relative terms from a rubber band to a bowling ball. Our saddle is at the high end of this scale which is plenty stiff to work in this application - aluminum's hardness while and excellent material, is significantly harder than required. Polyurethanes are used in several automotive applications, including suspension mounts, engine mounts and bushings as well as in bridge bearing pads, forklift tires and fifth wheel hitch plates - its a material when formulated correctly is capable of much.

The testing on our saddle is significant. We tried several formulations and durometers of urethane before finally settling on the one here. The saddle provided does not follow any contour specific to the Passat. The saddle is designed to be a more universal fit for a wider range of vehicles so creating it with contours designed to only fit the Passat didn't make sense. Most of the saddles available, in fact yours I believe if designed for only the Passat or VW is the exception, are a universal fit. Additionally, the saddles were tested on several vehicles, including mine, and they passed with flying colors. I would not sell them if they hadn't.

Chas, I've not seen your saddle in person, so I cannot and would not comment as to the quality of it. I assume, if you're offering it here, that you've done your research and its a quality product. I think you should be applauded for your work in designing and manufacturing parts for the folks here on CB5. I only wish you would have extended me the same courtesy.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Gentleman

00Psst said:
Alright, I'll chime in here since you're committed to going forward with this Chas. My jack pad does have some similarities to yours but also has some similarities to the Protech one and the JC Whitney one as well. There is good reason for this, there are only so many designs available that will work.

Regarding polyurethane - in comparison to aluminum, yes, its softer but to be clear, in no way could the saddle we make be considered wobbly. Polyurethanes can run the range from 20 Shore A to 75 Shore D in hardness - or in relative terms from a rubber band to a bowling ball. Our saddle is at the high end of this scale which is plenty stiff to work in this application - aluminum's hardness while and excellent material, is significantly harder than required. Polyurethanes are used in several automotive applications, including suspension mounts, engine mounts and bushings as well as in bridge bearing pads, forklift tires and fifth wheel hitch plates - its a material when formulated correctly is capable of much.

The testing on our saddle is significant. We tried several formulations and durometers of urethane before finally settling on the one here. The saddle provided does not follow any contour specific to the Passat. The saddle is designed to be a more universal fit for a wider range of vehicles so creating it with contours designed to only fit the Passat didn't make sense. Most of the saddles available, in fact yours I believe if designed for only the Passat or VW is the exception, are a universal fit. Additionally, the saddles were tested on several vehicles, including mine, and they passed with flying colors. I would not sell them if they hadn't.

Chas, I've not seen your saddle in person, so I cannot and would not comment as to the quality of it. I assume, if you're offering it here, that you've done your research and its a quality product. I think you should be applauded for your work in designing and manufacturing parts for the folks here on CB5. I only wish you would have extended me the same courtesy.
I respect the way you answered Chas. So much so, that I would like to order one of your pads. I will send you an email so you can add me to your list.

You are a Gentleman.

Dennis

·
Banned
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
IDriveB5 said:
interested, can you PM(cause i'll prolly forget to check back) me with the dimensions of this pad?

thanks
Daniel
Daniel,

Outside diameter is 2 inches and the height 1 3/16ths. The saddle will fit inside the cup on most floor jacks but on some with a smaller cup (some 2 ton jacks have these) you can remove the ring on the cup by removing the cotter pin and the saddle should fit. I would recommend you try this before getting one though. I've also sent you a PM with this info.

Mike

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Only wish you had them at Treffen de Hampster. I would have picked one up.

-Interested

·
Banned
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Update: I'm traveling this week so am not in the office but will be getting these made when I get back as we seem to have enough interest to do a small run. I'll let you all know next week when I expect to have finished parts ready for shipment.

Thanks all.

·
Super Moderator
14,168 Posts
00Psst said:
Update: I'm traveling this week so am not in the office but will be getting these made when I get back as we seem to have enough interest to do a small run. I'll let you all know next week when I expect to have finished parts ready for shipment.

Thanks all.
I'll be out of town after this weekend with limited internet capability. Please pm me when it goes active so I can take care of it.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.