Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
421 - 440 of 457 Posts

·
Registered
776 Posts
I take them all the way out and spin them by hand then reinstall. (not 4mo)
Yep, doesn't take a whole bunch more time to drop the upper bolts on the shock on both sides, then lower it down, since I'm taking the wheels off when I adjust anyways (for my winter/summer tire switch). I also didn't get a second wrench that fits the rears.

John

·
I'm just itching to be Banned
13,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #423
Ok, thanks for the tips, I wish there was an easier way, but from what I remember the rear suspension was quite easy to drop the springs out of.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
^ Very nice, I have 75% of my coilovers installed. :lol: The last coil will be installed this weekend thanks to Beaumisbro. The only issue I had was adjusting the rear coils. When I turn them to adjust, the lower perch spins along with them. How are you guys adjusting your coils without spinning around?
Thanks man! I'm really loving them so far. I got them installed at an indy shop, but I did spin down the fronts a bit more once I got her back. I haven't touched the rears, and hopefully I won't need to now that I've heard what it'll take to do so.

I wanted to go a bit lower once I get my Thor plate in...hopefully the rears are TOO big of a pain :wrench:

·
Registered
668 Posts
how about some reviews from you guys, how are you liking them? how do they ride? might be picking up a set soon, wanted to see how the comfortable they are

·
13,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #426
^ I love them, they handle great, the ride quality is better than OEM, and the car as a whole has a much more refined, sporty feel to it. The only negative comment I have to say about them, is that adjusting the rears is a little bit of a PITA, but then again, it is not a flaw with the suspension itself, but rather a consequence of our cars (1.8t FWD's) having a torsion beam suspension versus an IRS setup. Still, overall I am 110% satisfied with my purchase, the product is very high quality, and it is exactly what I was looking for. :thumbup:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Very satisfied. Not really a pain if you think about it, faster to raise/lower rear when rear springs are completely removed, leaving rear springs in place it is tough to get the spanner wrench on and turn it maybe an 1/8th of a turn. Fronts are easy with the spanner wrench.

Handling is great, tremendous improvement over OEM.
Ride quality is good, in my opinion a little better than OEM.
Height adjustment is very good, if you want to sit on the frame buy bags.
Quality is top notch. I have driven 15,000 miles on these highway, city and speed bumps(not recommended unless you have a skidplate.) I have no compliants and would definitely purchase the STs again.

·
Registered
776 Posts
I'm pretty satisfied with mine too, although it always surprises me which bumps are harsh and which bumps are ultra plush (like last night, thought the drop from a parking lot onto the road would be rough, but was ultra smooth, while a sharp but short crack in the road at low speed was very rough). I've also noticed that they are slightly underdamped when slowing to a stop.

Otherwise, performance has been much better than stock for cornering, and I've had no issues with adjusting them back up for winter. I did find it easiest to lift the whole back of my wagon up off the ground, remove the back tires, drop both rear shocks from the top mount, pull out the adjusters, clean them up and adjust them to where I wanted them. Currently 1.5" front and back drop for winter, closer to 2.5" for summer.

John

·
13,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #430
Just a note for anyone wondering. Now that the suspension has settled in, I can adjust the coilovers both front and rear without disassembling anything, they just turn, no problems at all. I am thoroughly enjoying the improved handling, it is a great improvement over the OEM setup. ;)

Sidenote, has anyone recieved their rebate yet? I sent mine in at the end of January, and I still haven't recieved it yet. I might have to give the rebate company a call to see what's up.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
alex did you ever call and find out what the deal is w/ your rebate? everyone that bought these should post pics (other than those already posted previously in the thread)

·
13,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #432
I still haven't called the rebate company to check on the status of my check, I have bee really busy lately so I haven't had any time. I will post some pics up later when I can, especially now that the rears are properly adjusted. :wrench: :lol:

·
Registered
776 Posts
Ok, a few pics to show the passenger's side after a pretty tough Calgary winter - we've had snow on the ground for the most days in a row in a great number of years, we've had the snowiest April on record and our fine city has discovered the joys of salt, lots and lots of salt, so much that they'll spray it on top of 8-12" of new snow where it just sits until the weather warms up.

On to the photos, the first is where the shock mounts to the lower control arm, I took this to show that it has started rusting. The driver's doesn't have any signs of rust except right at the bolt.

The second and third photos just show how much crap has built up on the threads - I slathered a thin layer of marine grease on them before adjusting, so this should come off with a little bit of work, but man, that's pretty gross.

Just for reference, this is on a 2000 1.8T wagon, and the adjusters are set for ~1.75" drop (my winter stance, but I'll probably leave it as my summer stance too, 2.75" was just too much hassle).

John

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
two months later... I installed these back in march, and here it is the 1st of July. I love the lowered look it give my car. I have gotten a few compliments about how "clean" my car is. But with all my "CRAP" inside the cabin, and in the trunk, I don't think it's so clean. And then on the outside i have a few scrapes on the passenger side. and on the rear bumper. However, based on the ride height, and how the car maneuvers now, I must say I love the car. Before I changed the suspension, I was riding (unknowingly at the time) on blown shocks/struts. So after I changed the suspension, I immediately noticed a difference. Most of the bumps I encounter here in WA are not too bad. The larger potholes make me cringe if i am unable to avoid them making me think I'm going to lose something vital. I am still able to go over speed bumps but at a very slow rate and take them @ a 45. as everyone has said, the improved cornering is amazing. As is the sporty feel. This is the way these vehicles should have come from the factory. Over all I'm very happy with it. We'll see how well it goes for my cross-country trip. Then, after I get to va the roads could be better, but I'm sure, compared to some places, i'm riding in the clouds. Case and point - I love 'em. I'd do it again.

·
13,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #439
I am interested but shipping is the problem. I live in Ontario, Canada.:(
Mark, shipping is no issue, quite a few members on here (Petra Passat, Jamsim, etc) all live in Canada, and they all bought kits through the GB. The instructions on how to order are in the first post, if you have any questions, feel free to give them a call. They will be able to walk you through the entire process, and answer any questions you might have.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Mark, shipping is no issue, quite a few members on here (Petra Passat, Jamsim, etc) all live in Canada, and they all bought kits through the GB. The instructions on how to order are in the first post, if you have any questions, feel free to give them a call. They will be able to walk you through the entire process, and answer any questions you might have.
Yep, and somewhere up above I list the brokerage costs that showed up in the mail after the fact from the shipping company, at least you'll know going in what they are.

John

421 - 440 of 457 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.