Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 314 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
35" of ass-flattening goodness

Pre-production pricing is closed. $300 may now get you an overrun. First come first served on limited number of extras ordered.

Pull the trigger now and lift a wheel now and then in the twisties this Spring!

Passat B5/B5.5 FWD rear torsion beam stiffener, modeled after the vaunted Shine Real Street anti-roll bar pictured below, fabricated from airframe-grade 4130 cro-moly tubing and plate, TIG welded by a master welder and finished in gloss black powder coat. Premium grade stainless fasteners, washers and nylon lock nuts included.

The SRS-style SnunkBar rear torsion beam stiffener is ridiculously easy to install (or remove) on a lift or a pair of jack stands. Installation does requires a heavy duty drill (no cordless drill will have a long enough charge capacity to bore the torsion beam 8 times), and longer carbide drill bit (size .375"), but with c-clamps as an aid, the bar itself serves as a drill alignment jig and eventually bolts up tight with the four 4" fasteners shown.

Cheers,
Keith

Group participation:

1. DerhsLacidar (paid in full :thumbup:)
  2. Breckvariant(paid in full :thumbup:)
  3. DJ GLO (paid in full :thumbup:)
  4. Hamdex (paid in full :thumbup:)
  5. ScienceGuy (paid in full :thumbup:)
  6. Bride of ScienceGuy (paid in full :thumbup:)
  7. Waggn_vdub (deposit received :thumbup:)
  8. SlikRik (paid in full :thumbup:)
  9. mrbutterz (deposit received :thumbup:)
  10. NoHollyWoodEnding (deposit received :thumbup:)
  11. hem1tp (paid in full
    )
  12. Anonymous (paid in full
    )
  13. cjw (paid in full
    )
  14. Resonnatorr (:confused:)
  15. BDubskii (
    )
  16. chaotica (
    )
  17. Jmacc (
    )
  18. NEWMAN'SOWN (
    )

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
So happy you are doing all this legwork here. If I had one of my own, I would surely do the same thing for everyone.

Personally, I'd keep it a PW exclusive. ;)

·
Administrator
23,301 Posts
Interested, but no funds allocated. It's vacation season, ya know....

·
Administrator
23,301 Posts
No more car mods for me for a long while. I haven't even driven the passat for almost a month.

·
Moderate Moderator
16,486 Posts
If you have a front wheel drive Passat and you want it to corner better, adding a rear anti-sway bar will make a BIG improvement. Once fitted, you won't drive around saying to yourself... "Is this any different? I'm not really sure if this helps or not". You'll be saying... "Wow, this really corners nice now!"

I fitted my SRS bar before upgrading the springs and shocks. I took it out for a test drive and was impressed by how much that mod alone changed the cornering characteristics. Just my two cents.

·
Super Moderator
4,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am still in. I can't wait to get mine! Any luck with something like over on the whoretex.
Whoretex won't allow members to post group buys. To post a group buy there you have to be a paid advertiser.

I might try UKPassats, but shipping to UK would be very expensive.

:wrench:

·
Super Moderator
4,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Updated confirmed list in post 7. Thanks for your interest Chaotica, DJ GLO and Hamdex. Welcome to our little anti-sway party! :barmy:

·
Super Moderator
4,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Any pictures installed?>

And to those who have installed it, is it worth $270???

What is the diameter of the tubing od and id?
SteveInChicago has a favorable opinion.

I'll work in getting a pic of bar in place. I may be able to find one from another installation.

Tubing diameter is O.D. 1.125" I.D. .625" 4130 cro-moly. Wings are .625" solid cro-moly plate.

Keith

·
Administrator
23,301 Posts
obar2.jpg

Kinda like this. But this is an O-Bar. You can't really see it except from underneath. It fits up in the beam

·
Super Moderator
4,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
View attachment 6058

Kinda like this. But this is an O-Bar. You can't really see it except from underneath. It fits up in the beam
Exactly. Good solution when going low. No clearance compromise at all. But Shine himself would tell you his design won't help a lowered car on soft springs. It will produce a far more linear response rate than a bent bar (Neuspeed) and a measure more linear than the pictured O-bar above because the wings are solid plate steel and bored closer together (2" apart) and at the extreme ends of the bar. This increased distance between the mounting points provides for an more even torsional spring response because the force is distributed along a longer unattached segment of the bar's axis.

O-Bar website is no longer. I suspect they were constructed of similar tubing to SRS bars. The reproductions I am commissioning are identical in spec and hardware and are constructed with the same 4130 cro-moly tubing and plate used in the final SRS version.

I really hope to get my bar in place tomorrow, because I have been invited to Summit Point over the weekend to sample supercharged Audi setups, and it would be cool to get a lap in the Passat with the PSS9s dialed up to '11' (actually 9, but had to homage to Spinal Tap). It would be even cooler if I could get two laps in, the second after I drop the SRS bar out and see how the comparison feels. But I can't impose too much on my host. We'll see.

Blue looks cool. Maybe I'll spec some of the bars to be red or blue in addition to black.

Thanks Dan!

·
Registered
222 Posts
Any updates? Really looking forward to installing the SRS-style bar. I got the Audi A6 strut bar and Audi subframe brace and wonder just how much of a difference the rear bar would make.

·
Super Moderator
4,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Some other things have me waylaid for the moment. I need to visit fabricator to drop sample and confirm specs. Hoped to do that this week, but my day job (and my pickin' fever) have kept me sidetracked. I am glad that you are interested. I hope everyone will hang in a little longer. :cool:

Keith

1 - 20 of 314 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.